- Associate Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Assistant Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Postdoctoral Fellow, California Institute of Technology
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, University of Chicago
- M.S. in Chemistry, The University of Chicago
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering, University Politehnica of Bucharest, Romania
- NSF CAREER Award
- ChemComm Emerging Investigator
- Dalton Transactions New Talent Americas across academia and US national laboratories
- Inorganica Chimica Acta Next Generation
- BP Postdoctoral Fellowship
- McCormick Graduate Fellowship
The Iluc research group focuses on the activation and functionalization of inert molecules, with an emphasis on C–H bonds. These are imperative scientific problems since less expensive and more readily available feedstocks could be employed to meet some of today's energy demands.The approach used by the Iluc group is the design of metal complexes that take advantage of latent reactivity: either electrophilic metal centers protected by weak interactions with a supporting ligand or that arising from metal-ligand cooperation. The group will span synthesis, characterization, and mechanistic studies with an emphasis on the understanding of reactivity and design of new catalytic cycles.
- Cui, P., Hoffbauer, M. R., Vyushkova, M., Iluc, V. M. "Oxidation reactions of a nucleophilic palladium carbene: Mono and bi-radical carbenes" 2019 Dalton Transactions, 48 (26), pp. 9663-9668. DOI:10.1039/c9dt00585d.
- Deziel, A. P., Hoffbauer, M. R., Iluc, V. M. "Square Planar Nucleophilic and Radical Pt(II) Carbenes" 2019 Organometallics, 38 (4), pp. 879-887. DOI:10.1021/acs.organomet.8b00864.
- Hoffbauer, M. R., Comanescu, C. C., Iluc, V. M. "Reactivity of a Pd(II) carbene towards 2,6-dimesitylphenyldiazomethane and 2,6-dimesitylphenylazide" 2019 Polyhedron, 158 pp. 352-356. DOI:10.1016/j.poly.2018.11.002.
- Hoffbauer, M.R., Comanescu, C.C., Dymm, B.J., Iluc, V.M. "Influence of the Leaving Group on C-H Activation Pathways in Palladium Pincer Complexes" 2018 Organometallics, 37 (13), pp. 2086-2094. DOI: 10.1021/acs.organomet.8b00237
- Comanescu, C.C., Iluc, V.M. "E–H (E = N, O) bond activation by a nucleophilic palladium carbene" 2018 Polyhedron, 143, pp. 176-183. DOI: 10.1016/j.poly.2017.10.007
- Rothstein, P.E., Comanescu, C.C., Iluc, V.M. "Formation of Palladium η2-Bound Chalcogenoketones across a Pd+-C- Bond" 2017 Chemistry - A European Journal, 23 (67), pp. 16948-16952. DOI: 10.1002/chem.201703553