Concurrent Associate Professor
- 370 Fitzpatrick Hall Of Engineering
Notre Dame, IN 46556
- +1 574-631-6127
- Physical/Analytical Chemistry
Prospective Graduate Students
|2022-present||Concurrent Professor, Dept. of Chemistry & Biochemistry, University of Notre Dame|
|2022-present||Professor, Dept. of Aerospace & Mechanical Engineering, University of Notre Dame|
|2018-2022||Concurrent Associate Professor, Dept. of Chemistry & Biochemistry, University of Notre Dame|
|2016-2022||Associate Professor, Dept. of Aerospace & Mechanical Engineering, University of Notre Dame|
|2009-2016||Assistant Professor, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Temple University|
|2007-2009||Postdoctoral Fellow, Georgia Institute of Technology|
|2007||Ph.D. in Engineering Physics, McMaster University|
2011 NSF CAREER Award
Svetlana Neretina and her research team are advancing the application, understanding, and material fabrication methods for noble metal nanostructures, an extraordinary class of materials that are used in the diagnosis and treatment of disease, environmental remediation, chemical synthesis, and sensing technologies. Fabrication methods such as nanoimprint lithography, self-assembly, and solution-phase redox reactions are used in combination to define periodic arrays of complex noble metal nanostructures that collectively express the photo- and chemically active surfaces needed to prototype photovoltaic and sensing devices. These same nanostructures are also being investigated as catalysts for hydrogen generation and as photocatalysts capable of promoting green chemical syntheses powered by sunlight. Emphasis is also placed on the development of new instrumentation and in situ monitoring tools needed to fabricate these nanomaterials in a manner that is responsive to the scalability and throughput needs of a manufacturing setting.
- Kumar, V.; Rossi, A. W.; Lawson, Z. R.; Neal, R. D.; Hachtel, J. A.; Neretina, S.; Masiello, D. J. and Camden, J. P. "Infrared Near-Field Spectroscopy of Gold Nanotriangle Fabry-Perot Resonances" 2023 Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 127 (14), pp.6777-6784. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpcc.3c00753.
- Tuff, W. J.; Hughes, R. A.; Golze, S. D. and Neretina, S. "Ion Beam Milling as a Symmetry-Breaking Control in the Synthesis of Periodic Arrays of Identically Aligned Bimetallic Janus Nanocrystals" 2023 ACS Nano, 17 (4), pp.4050-4061. DOI: 10.1021/acsnano.3c00149.
- Neal, R. D.; Lawson, Z. R.; Tuff, W. J.; Xu, K. K.; Kumar, V.; Korsa, M. T.; Zhukovskyi, M.; Rosenberger, M. R.; Adam, J.; Hachtel, J. A.; Camden, J. P.; Hughes, R. A. and Neretina, S. "Large-Area Periodic Arrays of Atomically Flat Single-Crystal Gold Nanotriangles Formed Directly on Substrate Surfaces" 2022 Small, 18 (52), 2205780. DOI: 10.1002/smll.202205780.
- Lawson, Z. R.; Preston, A. S.; Korsa, M. T.; Dominique, N. L.; Tuff, W. J.; Sutter, E.; Camden, J. P.; Adam, J.; Hughes, R. A. and Neretina, S. "Plasmonic Gold Trimers and Dimers with Air-Filled Nanogaps" 2022 ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 14 (24), pp.28186-28198. DOI: 10.1021/acsami.2c04800.
- Golze, S. D.; Hughes, R. A.; Menumerov, E.; Rouvimov, S. and Neretina, S. "Synergistic Roles of Vapor- and Liquid-Phase Epitaxy in the Seed-Mediated Synthesis of Substrate-Based Noble Metal Nanostructures" 2021 Nanoscale, 13 (47), pp.20225-20233. DOI: 10.1039/d1nr07019c.
- Preston, A. S.; Hughes, R. A.; Dominique, N. L.; Camden, J. P. and Neretina, S. "Stabilization of Plasmonic Silver Nanostructures with Ultrathin Oxide Coatings Formed using Atomic Layer Deposition" 2021 Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 125 (31), pp.17212-17220. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpcc.1c04599.