- Concurrent Associate Professor, Dept. of Chemistry & Biochemistry, University of Notre Dame
- Associate Professor, Dept. of Aerospace & Mechanical Engineering, University of Notre Dame
- Assistant Professor, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Temple University
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Ph.D. in Engineering Physics, McMaster University
- NSF CAREER Award
Svetlana Neretina and her research team are advancing the application, understanding, and material fabrication methods for noble metal nanostructures, an extraordinary class of materials that are used in the diagnosis and treatment of disease, environmental remediation, chemical synthesis, and sensing technologies. Fabrication methods such as nanoimprint lithography, self-assembly, and solution-phase redox reactions are used in combination to define periodic arrays of complex noble metal nanostructures that collectively express the photo- and chemically active surfaces needed to prototype photovoltaic and sensing devices. These same nanostructures are also being investigated as catalysts for hydrogen generation and as photocatalysts capable of promoting green chemical syntheses powered by sunlight. Emphasis is also placed on the development of new instrumentation and in situ monitoring tools needed to fabricate these nanomaterials in a manner that is responsive to the scalability and throughput needs of a manufacturing setting.
- Golze, S. D., Porcu, S., Zhu, C., Sutter, E., Ricci, P. C., Kinzel, E. C., Hughes, R. A., Neretina, S. "Sequential Symmetry-Breaking Events as a Synthetic Pathway for Chiral Gold Nanostructures with Spiral Geometries" 2021 Nano Letters, 21 (7), pp. 2919-2925. DOI:10.1021/acs.nanolett.0c05105.
- Demille, T. B., Hughes, R. A., Dominique, N., Olson, J. E., Rouvimov, S., Camden, J. P., Neretina, S. "Large-area periodic arrays of gold nanostars derived from HEPES-, DMF-, and ascorbic-acid-driven syntheses" 2020 Nanoscale, 12 (31), pp. 16489-16500. DOI:10.1039/d0nr04141f.
- Neal, R. D., Hughes, R. A., Sapkota, P., Ptasinska, S., Neretina, S. "Effect of Nanoparticle Ligands on 4-Nitrophenol Reduction: Reaction Rate, Induction Time, and Ligand Desorption" 2020 ACS Catalysis, 10 (17), pp. 10040-10050. DOI:10.1021/acscatal.0c02759.
- Porcu, S., Castellino, M., Roppolo, I., Carbonaro, C. M., Palmas, S., Mais, L., Casula, M. F., Neretina, S., Hughes, R. A., Secci, F., Ricci, P. C. "Highly efficient visible light phenyl modified carbon nitride/TiO2 photocatalyst for environmental applications" 2020 Applied Surface Science, 531, 147394. DOI:10.1016/j.apsusc.2020.147394.
- Preston, A. S., Hughes, R. A., Demille, T. B., Neretina, S. "Plasmonics under Attack: Protecting Copper Nanostructures from Harsh Environments" 2020 Chemistry of Materials, 32 (15), pp. 6788-6799. DOI:10.1021/acs.chemmater.0c02715.
- Zhang, Q., Neal, R. D., Huang, D., Neretina, S., Neretina, S., Lee, E., Luo, T., Luo, T., Luo, T. "Surface Bubble Growth in Plasmonic Nanoparticle Suspension" 2020 ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 12 (23), pp. 26680-26687. DOI:10.1021/acsami.0c05448.