- Concurrent Associate Professor, Dept. of Chemistry & Biochemistry, University of Notre Dame
- Associate Professor, Dept. of Aerospace & Mechanical Engineering, University of Notre Dame
- Assistant Professor, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Temple University
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Ph.D. in Engineering Physics, McMaster University
- NSF CAREER Award
Svetlana Neretina and her research team are advancing the application, understanding, and material fabrication methods for noble metal nanostructures, an extraordinary class of materials that are used in the diagnosis and treatment of disease, environmental remediation, chemical synthesis, and sensing technologies. Fabrication methods such as nanoimprint lithography, self-assembly, and solution-phase redox reactions are used in combination to define periodic arrays of complex noble metal nanostructures that collectively express the photo- and chemically active surfaces needed to prototype photovoltaic and sensing devices. These same nanostructures are also being investigated as catalysts for hydrogen generation and as photocatalysts capable of promoting green chemical syntheses powered by sunlight. Emphasis is also placed on the development of new instrumentation and in situ monitoring tools needed to fabricate these nanomaterials in a manner that is responsive to the scalability and throughput needs of a manufacturing setting.
- Demille, T. B., Hughes, R. A., Neretina, S. "Periodic Arrays of Dewetted Silver Nanostructures on Sapphire and Quartz: Effect of Substrate Truncation on the Localized Surface Plasmon Resonance and Near-Field Enhancement" 2019 Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 123 (32), pp. 19879-19886. DOI:10.1021/acs.jpcc.9b05692.
- Golze, S. D., Hughes, R. A., Rouvimov, S., Neal, R. D., Demille, T. B., Neretina, S. "Plasmon-Mediated Synthesis of Periodic Arrays of Gold Nanoplates Using Substrate-Immobilized Seeds Lined with Planar Defects" 2019 Nano Letters, 19 (8), pp. 5653-5660. DOI:10.1021/acs.nanolett.9b02215.
- Neal, R. D., Inoue, Y., Hughes, R. A., Neretina, S. "Catalytic Reduction of 4-Nitrophenol by Gold Catalysts: The Influence of Borohydride Concentration on the Induction Time" 2019 Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 123 (20), pp. 12894-12901. DOI:10.1021/acs.jpcc.9b02396.
- Preston, A. S., Hughes, R. A., Demille, T. B., Davila, V. M. R., Neretina, S. "Dewetted nanostructures of gold, silver, copper, and palladium with enhanced faceting" 2019 Acta Materialia, 165 pp. 15-25. DOI:10.1016/j.actamat.2018.11.036.
- Sil, D., Lane, C., Glor, E., Gilroy, K. D., Sylla, S., Barbiellini, B., Markiewicz, R., Hajfathalian, M., Neretina, S., Bansil, A., Fakhraai, Z., Borguet, E. "Synthesis and Properties of Au Hydride" 2019 ChemistrySelect, 4 (14), pp. 4287-4292. DOI:10.1002/slct.201900925.
- Hajfathalian, M., Amirshaghaghi, A., Naha, P. C., Chhour, P., Hsu, J. C., Douglas, K., Dong, Y., Sehgal, C. M., Tsourkas, A., Neretina, S., Cormode, D. P. "Wulff in a cage gold nanoparticles as contrast agents for computed tomography and photoacoustic imaging" 2018 Nanoscale, 10 (39), pp. 18749-18757. DOI:10.1039/c8nr05203d.