- Concurrent Associate Professor, Dept. of Chemistry & Biochemistry, University of Notre Dame
- Associate Professor, Dept. of Aerospace & Mechanical Engineering, University of Notre Dame
- Assistant Professor, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Temple University
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Ph.D. in Engineering Physics, McMaster University
- NSF CAREER Award
Svetlana Neretina and her research team are advancing the application, understanding, and material fabrication methods for noble metal nanostructures, an extraordinary class of materials that are used in the diagnosis and treatment of disease, environmental remediation, chemical synthesis, and sensing technologies. Fabrication methods such as nanoimprint lithography, self-assembly, and solution-phase redox reactions are used in combination to define periodic arrays of complex noble metal nanostructures that collectively express the photo- and chemically active surfaces needed to prototype photovoltaic and sensing devices. These same nanostructures are also being investigated as catalysts for hydrogen generation and as photocatalysts capable of promoting green chemical syntheses powered by sunlight. Emphasis is also placed on the development of new instrumentation and in situ monitoring tools needed to fabricate these nanomaterials in a manner that is responsive to the scalability and throughput needs of a manufacturing setting.
- Golze, S. D.; Hughes, R. A.; Menumerov, E.; Rouvimov, S. and Neretina, S. "Synergistic Roles of Vapor- and Liquid-Phase Epitaxy in the Seed-Mediated Synthesis of Substrate-Based Noble Metal Nanostructures" 2021 Nanoscale, 13 (47), pp.20225-20233. DOI: 10.1039/d1nr07019c.
- Preston, A. S.; Hughes, R. A.; Dominique, N. L.; Camden, J. P. and Neretina, S. "Stabilization of Plasmonic Silver Nanostructures with Ultrathin Oxide Coatings Formed using Atomic Layer Deposition" 2021 Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 125 (31), pp.17212-17220. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpcc.1c04599.
- Demille, T. B.; Neal, R. D.; Preston, A. S.; Liang, Z. J.; Oliver, A. G.; Hughes, R. A. and Neretina, S. "Epitaxially Aligned Single-Crystal Gold Nanoplates Formed in Large area Arrays at High Yield" 2022 Nano Research, 15 (1), pp.296-303. DOI: 10.1007/s12274-021-3473-1.
- Neal, R. D.; Hughes, R. A.; Preston, A. S.; Golze, S. D.; Demille, T. B. and Neretina, S. "Substrate-Immobilized Noble Metal Nanoplates: A Review of their Synthesis, Assembly, and Application" 2021 Journal of Materials Chemistry C, 9 (38), pp.12974-13012. DOI: 10.1039/d1tc01494c.
- Golze, S. D.; Porcu, S.; Zhu, C.; Sutter, E.; Ricci, P. C.; Kinzel, E. C.; Hughes, R. A. and Neretina, S. "Sequential Symmetry-Breaking Events as a Synthetic Pathway for Chiral Gold Nanostructures with Spiral Geometries" 2021 Nano Letters, 21 (7), pp.2919-2925. DOI: 10.1021/acs.nanolett.0c05105.
- Porcu, S.; Castellino, M.; Roppolo, I.; Carbonaro, C. M.; Palmas, S.; Mais, L.; Casula, M. F.; Neretina, S.; Hughes, R. A.; Secci, F. and Ricci, P. C. "Highly Efficient Visible Light Phenyl Modified Carbon Nitride/TiO2 Photocatalyst for Environmental Applications" 2020 Applied Surface Science, 531, 147394. DOI: 10.1016/j.apsusc.2020.147394.