- Professor and Director, Harper Cancer Research Institute, University of Notre Dame
- Professor and Vice-Chair for Research,University of Missouri School of Medicine
- Professor, Northwestern University Medical School
- Associate Professor, Northwestern University Medical School
- Assistant Professor, Northwestern University Medical School
- Assistant Research Professor, Duke University Medical Center
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Duke University Medical Center
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry, University of Louisville
- M.S. in Biomedical Sciences/Biochemistry, East Tennessee State University
- B.S. in Biochemistry, Clemson University
- Juan Garcia Lifetime Achievement Award, American Cancer Society Lakeshore Division
- Herbert Fanger Lecture Honoree, Brown University
- Provost's Faculty Recognition Award
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
My laboratory has focused for many years on regulation of metastasis, with specific emphasis on the role of cell adhesion and matrix remodeling in two tumor models: epithelial ovarian cancer (OvCa) and squamous cell carcinoma of the oral cavity (OSCC). Metastatic OvCa cells colonize the peritoneal cavity following dissemination from the ovarian surface, survival in suspension as multicellular aggregates (MCAs) in carcinomatous ascites fluid, attachment to the peritoneal surface, and localized invasion into the sub-mesothelial matrix to anchor secondary lesions. We have developed a number of in vitro 3-dimensional and organotypic models of key events in OvCa metastasis with which to evaluate the effect of various cellular and micro-environmental manipulations on metastatic success with an overarching focus on adhesion (cell-matrix and cell-cell) and matrix proteolysis (pericellular and extracellular remodeling). We have used organotypic mesothelial-mimetic (meso-mimetic) cultures comprised of fibroblast-embedded 3D collagen gels overlaid with mesothelial cells as well as ex vivo tissue explant models of the peritoneum and omentum. Additionally, we have focused extensively on xenograft and allograft studies of OvCa intra-peritoneal metastasis, with particular emphasis on the use of advanced imaging methods to accurately quantify widely disseminated intra-peritoneal metastatic burden. Ongoing projects are aimed toward elucidating the contribution of host factors such as obesity, age, and parity to OvCa metastatic success. We are also examining the role of extracellular vesicles (exosomes, both tumor and host) in these processes. In our oral cancer research, we are currently focused on cancer of the oropharynx associated with human papillomavirus (HPV) infection (HPV-OPSCC). We are using a panel of in vitro analysis together with an ex vivo tonsillar explant model to define the biological function of microRNAs, induced in host cells by an onogenic HPV infection, in progression of OPSCC. Within this framework, understanding the multiple micro-environmental cues that contribute to metastatic success is a major focus of the laboratory.
- Carey, P., Low, E., Harper, E., Stack, M. S. "Metalloproteinases in ovarian cancer" 2021 International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 22 (7), 3403. DOI:10.3390/ijms22073403.
- Liu, Y., Yang, J., Shi, Z., Tan, X., Jin, N., O'Brien, C., Ott, C., Grisoli, A., Lee, E., Volk, K., Conroy, M., Franz, E., Bryant, A., Campbell, L., Crowley, B., Grisoli, S., Alexandrou, A. T., Li, C., Harper, E. I., Asem, M., Johnson, J., Leonard, A., Santanello, K., Klein, A., Wang, Q., Zhang, S., Hilliard, T. S., Stack, M. S. "In vivo selection of highly metastatic human ovarian cancer sublines reveals role for AMIGO2 in intra-peritoneal metastatic regulation" 2021 Cancer Letters, 503, pp. 163-173. DOI:10.1016/j.canlet.2021.01.024.
- Asem, M., Young, A., Oyama, C., ClaureDeLaZerda, A., Liu, Y., Ravosa, M. J., Gupta, V., Jewell, A., Khabele, D., Stack, M. S. "Ascites-induced compression alters the peritoneal microenvironment and promotes metastatic success in ovarian cancer" 2020 Scientific Reports, 10 (1), 11913. DOI:10.1038/s41598-020-68639-2.
- Asem, M., Young, A. M., Oyama, C., De La Zerda, A. C., Liu, Y., Yang, J., Hilliard, T. S., Johnson, J., Harper, E. I., Guldner, I., Zhang, S., Page-Mayberry, T., Kaliney, W. J., Stack, M. S. "Host Wnt5a potentiates microenvironmental regulation of ovarian cancer metastasis" 2020 Cancer Research, 80 (5), pp. 1156-1170. DOI:10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-19-1601.
- Klymenko, Y., Bos, B., Campbell, L., Loughran, E., Liu, Y., Yang, J., Kim, O., Stack, M. S. "Lysophosphatidic acid modulates ovarian cancer multicellular aggregate assembly and metastatic dissemination" 2020 Scientific Reports, 10 (1), 10877. DOI:10.1038/s41598-020-67565-7.
- Yang, J., Stack, M. S. "Lipid regulatory proteins as potential therapeutic targets for ovarian cancer in obese women" 2020 Cancers, 12 (11), pp. 1-25. DOI:10.3390/cancers12113469.