Professor Vakulenko received his M.D. in 1976 from the St. Petersburg I. I. Mechnikov State Medical Academy, Russia. He earned his Ph.D. in medicine in 1981 and D.Sc. in biology in 1991 from National Research Center of Antibiotics, Moscow, Russia. Dr. Vakulenko joined the Notre Dame faculty in 2003.
- Stewart, N. K., Toth, M., Stasyuk, A., Lee, M., Smith, C. A., Vakulenko, S. B. "Inhibition of the Clostridioides difficile Class D β-Lactamase CDD-1 by Avibactam" 2021 ACS Infectious Diseases, 7 (5), pp. 1164-1176. DOI:10.1021/acsinfecdis.0c00714.
- Stewart, N. K., Bhattacharya, M., Toth, M., Smith, C. A., Vakulenko, S. B. "A surface loop modulates activity of the Bacillus class D β-lactamases" 2020 Journal of Structural Biology, 211 (2), 107544. DOI:10.1016/j.jsb.2020.107544.
- Smith, C. A., Stewart, N. K., Toth, M., Vakulenko, S. B. "Structural insights into the mechanism of carbapenemase activity of the OXA-48 β-lactamase" 2019 Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, 63 (10), e01202-19. DOI:10.1128/AAC.01202-19.
- Smith, C. A., Toth, M., Stewart, N. K., Maltz, L., Vakulenko, S. B. "Structural basis for the diversity of the mechanism of nucleotide hydrolysis by the aminoglycoside-2′′-phosphotransferases Smith Clyde A." 2019 Acta Crystallographica Section D: Structural Biology, 75, pp. 1129-1137. DOI:10.1107/S2059798319015079.
- Stewart, N. K., Smith, C. A., Antunes, N. T., Toth, M., Vakulenko, S. B. "Role of the hydrophobic bridge in the carbapenemase activity of class D -lactamases" 2019 Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, 63 (2), e02191-18. DOI:10.1128/AAC.02191-18.
- Stewart, N. K., Smith, C. A., Toth, M., Stasyuk, A., Vakulenko, S. B. "The crystal structures of CDD-1, the intrinsic class D β-lactamase from the pathogenic Gram-positive bacterium Clostridioides difficile, and its complex with cefotaxime" 2019 Journal of Structural Biology, 208 (3), 107391. DOI:10.1016/j.jsb.2019.09.008.