- Research Assistant Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Research Scientist, University of Notre Dame
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Notre Dame
- Assistant Investigator, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Ph.D. in Medicinal Chemistry, Peking Union Medical College
- M.S. in Medicinal Chemistry, Soochow University
- B.S. in Pharmacy, Hebei University
- Outstanding Graduate of Peking Union Medical College
- Outstanding Master's Thesis, Soochow University
My research focuses on developing new synthetic methodology and incorporating it into the discovery of drugs that can treat various diseases caused by viruses, parasites, or bacteria. My most recent work focuses on a new agent discovered that is effective against Mycobacterium tuberculosis (Mtb) and nontuberculous mycobacteria (NTM). Exploiting the iron sequestration processes of microorganisms, my research also includes development of novel siderophore drug conjugates (sideromycins) with activity against Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria, especially multi-drug resistant strains listed by the WHO as being of most concern.
- Liu, R.; Miller, P. A. and Miller, M. J. "Conjugation of Aztreonam, a Synthetic Monocyclic Beta-Lactam Antibiotic, to a Siderophore Mimetic significantly Expands Activity Against Gram-Negative Bacteria" 2021 ACS Infectious Diseases, 7 (11), pp.2979-2986. DOI: 10.1021/acsinfecdis.1c00458.
- Miller, M. J. and Liu, R. "Design and Syntheses of New Antibiotics Inspired by Nature's Quest for Iron in an Oxidative Climate" 2021 Accounts of Chemical Research, 54 (7), pp.1646-1661. DOI: 10.1021/acs.accounts.1c00004.
- Liu, R.; Markley, L.; Miller, P. A.; Franzblau, S.; Shetye, G.; Ma, R.; Savkova, K.; Mikusova, K.; Lee, B. S.; Pethe, K.; Moraski, G. C. and Miller, M. J. "Hydride-Induced Meisenheimer Complex Formation Reflects Activity of Nitro Aromatic Anti-Tuberculosis Compounds" 2021 RSC Medicinal Chemistry, 12 (1), pp.62-72. DOI: 10.1039/d0md00390e.
- Eckhardt, T.; Goddard, R.; Lehmann, C.; Richter, A.; Sahile, H. A.; Liu, R.; Tiwari, R.; Oliver, A. G.; Miller, M. J.; Seidel, R. W. and Imming, P. "Crystallographic Evidence for Unintended Benzisothiazolinone 1-Oxide Formation from Benzothiazinones through Oxidation" 2020 Acta Crystallographica Section C-Structural Chemistry, 76 pp.907-+. DOI: 10.1107/S2053229620010931.
- Liu, R.; Krchnak, V.; Brown, S. N. and Miller, M. J. "Deuteration of BTZ043 Extends the Lifetime of Meisenheimer Intermediates to the Antituberculosis Nitroso Oxidation State" 2019 ACS Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 10 (10), pp.1462-1466. DOI: 10.1021/acsmedchemlett.9b00308.
- Liu, R.; Miller, P. A.; Vakulenko, S. B.; Stewart, N. K.; Boggess, W. C. and Miller, M. J. "A Synthetic Dual Drug Sideromycin Induces Gram-Negative Bacteria to Commit Suicide with a Gram-Positive Antibiotic" 2018 Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 61 (9), pp.3845-3854. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jmedchem.8b00218.