- Arthur J. Schmitt Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Centennial Professor of the Chemical Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Interim Vice Chancellor for Research, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Head of the Department of Chemistry, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Associate Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Assistant Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Member of Technical Staff, Special Materials Groups, Bell Laboratories
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- B.S. in Chemistry, University of Notre Dame
- C.N. Reilley Award in Electroanalytical Chemistry
- American Chemical Society Award in Electrochemistry
- Top 100 Most Influential Analytical Scientists
- Fellow, Society for Applied Spectroscopy
- Theophilus Redwood Award, Royal Society of Chemistry
- Fellow, Royal Society of Chemistry
- Bomem-Michelson Award of the Coblentz Society
- Spectroscopy Society of Pittsburgh Award
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Chemical Society Award in Spectrochemical Analysis
The Bohn group uses the tools of molecular nanotechnology to define the state-of-the-art in chemical analysis of mass-limited samples (ranging from ~106 molecules down to a single molecule). Our research currently focuses on problems in three thematic areas: low-dimensional analytical electronics and photonics, analytical nanofluidics, and correlated imaging, and uses the tools of nanofabrication, high sensitivity molecular spectroscopy, and electrochemistry to achieve our research goals.
Analytical nanofluidics – research in this area concentrates on four major projects: (1) non-aqueous microchip electrophoresis (NAME) for lipid biomarker detection; (2) chemical reactions in confined/constrained environments; (3) design of extraordinarily efficient chemical reactors (NanoPERfECT); and (4) plasmonic and Fourier transform impedance sensing of toxins and pathogens.
Low-dimensional analytical electronics and photonics – research in this area exploits low-dimensional structures to perform chemical measurements and is focused on four major projects: (1) atom-scale junctions for chemical sensing; (2) single molecule spectroelectrochemistry; (3) electrochemistry in 1-D nanostructures; and (4) tightly coupled electrokinetics and electron transfer.
Correlated imaging – research in this area seeks to develop novel methods of heterocorrelated chemical imaging and is composed of two major projects focused on: (1) the molecular etiology of cancer, and (2) communication of microbial communities.
- Do, H., Kwon, S. -., Baek, S., Madukoma, C. S., Smiley, M. K., Dietrich, L. E., Shrout, J. D., Bohn, P. W. "Redox cycling-based detection of phenazine metabolites secreted from: Pseudomonas aeruginosa in nanopore electrode arrays" 2021 Analyst, 146 (4), pp. 1346-1354. DOI:10.1039/d0an02022b.
- Jia, J., Ellis, J. F., Cao, T., Fu, K., Morales-Soto, N., Shrout, J. D., Sweedler, J. V., Bohn, P. W. "Biopolymer Patterning-Directed Secretion in Mucoid and Nonmucoid Strains of Pseudomonas aeruginosa Revealed by Multimodal Chemical Imaging" 2021 ACS Infectious Diseases, 7 (3), pp. 598-607. DOI:10.1021/acsinfecdis.0c00765.
- Baek, S., Kwon, S. -., Fu, K., Bohn, P. W. "Ion Gating in Nanopore Electrode Arrays with Hierarchically Organized pH-Responsive Block Copolymer Membranes" 2020 ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 12 (49), pp. 55116-55124. DOI:10.1021/acsami.0c12926.
- Sundaresan, V., Bohn, P. W. "Acid-base chemistry at the single ion limit" 2020 Chemical Science, 11 (40), pp. 10951-10958. DOI:10.1039/d0sc03756g.
- Cao, T., Sweedler, J. V., Bohn, P. W., Shrout, J. D. "Spatiotemporal distribution of Pseudomonas aeruginosa alkyl quinolones under metabolic and competitive stress" 2020 mSphere, 5 (4), e00426-20. DOI:10.1128/MSPHERE.00426-20.
- Chao, Z., Sezginel, K. B., Xu, K., Crouch, G. M., Gray, A. E., Wilmer, C. E., Bohn, P. W., Go, D. B., Fullerton-Shirey, S. K. "Silver Nanofilament Formation Dynamics in a Polymer-Ionic Liquid Thin Film by Direct Write" 2020 Advanced Functional Materials, 30 (6), 1907950. DOI:10.1002/adfm.201907950.