- Concurrent Professor, Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry, University of Notre Dame
- Professor, Department of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering, University of Notre Dame
- Professor, Michigan State University
- Associate Professor, Michigan State University
- Assistant Professor, Michigan State University
- NIH Postdoctoral Fellow, Texas A&M University
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, The Weizmann Institute of Science
- M.S. in Chemistry, Brigham Young University
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering, Brigham Young University
- Benedetti-Pichler Award of the American Microchemical Society
- MSU Innovation of the Year
- MSU College of Natural Science Distinguished Faculty Award
- Society for Electroanalytical Chemistry Young Investigator Award
The Bruening Group develops new thin films for specific protein capture in porous membranes, ion separations in electrodialysis, and controlled protein digestion prior to analysis with mass spectrometry. Potential applications include protein purification, antibody characterization and sequencing, and salt purification or recycling.
- Ahmad, M., Tang, C., Yang, L., Yaroshchuk, A., Bruening, M. L. "Layer-by-layer modification of aliphatic polyamide anion-exchange membranes to increase Cl-/SO42- selectivity" 2019 Journal of Membrane Science, 578 pp. 209-219. DOI:10.1016/j.memsci.2019.02.018.
- Feroz, H., Meisenhelter, J., Jokhadze, G., Bruening, M., Kumar, M. "Rapid screening and scale-up of ultracentrifugation-free, membrane-based procedures for purification of His-tagged membrane proteins" 2019 Biotechnology Progress, DOI:10.1002/btpr.2859.
- Yaroshchuk, A., Bruening, M. L., Zholkovskiy, E. "Modelling nanofiltration of electrolyte solutions" 2019 Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, 268 pp. 39-63. DOI:10.1016/j.cis.2019.03.004.
- Liu, W., Bennett, A. L., Ning, W., Tan, H., Berwanger, J. D., Zeng, X., Bruening, M. L. "Monoclonal Antibody Capture and Analysis Using Porous Membranes Containing Immobilized Peptide Mimotopes" 2018 Analytical Chemistry, 90 (20), pp. 12161-12167. DOI:10.1021/acs.analchem.8b03183.
- Yang, L., Tang, C., Ahmad, M., Yaroshchuk, A., Bruening, M. L. "High Selectivities among Monovalent Cations in Dialysis through Cation-Exchange Membranes Coated with Polyelectrolyte Multilayers" 2018 ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 10 (50), pp. 44134-44143. DOI:10.1021/acsami.8b16434.
- Liu, W., Pang, Y., Tan, H.-Y., Patel, N., Jokhadze, G., Guthals, A., Bruening, M.L. "Enzyme-containing spin membranes for rapid digestion and characterization of single proteins" 2018 Analyst, 143 (16), pp. 3907-3917. DOI: 10.1039/c8an00969d