- Concurrent Professor, Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry, University of Notre Dame
- Professor, Department of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering, University of Notre Dame
- Professor, Michigan State University
- Associate Professor, Michigan State University
- Assistant Professor, Michigan State University
- NIH Postdoctoral Fellow, Texas A&M University
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, The Weizmann Institute of Science
- M.S. in Chemistry, Brigham Young University
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering, Brigham Young University
- Benedetti-Pichler Award of the American Microchemical Society
- MSU Innovation of the Year
- MSU College of Natural Science Distinguished Faculty Award
- Society for Electroanalytical Chemistry Young Investigator Award
The Bruening Group develops new thin films for specific protein capture in porous membranes, ion separations in electrodialysis, and controlled protein digestion prior to analysis with mass spectrometry. Potential applications include protein purification, antibody characterization and sequencing, and salt purification or recycling.
- Bondarenko, M. P., Bruening, M. L., Yaroshchuk, A. "Electro-osmo-dialysis through nanoporous layers physically conjugated to micro-perforated ion-exchange membranes: Highly selective accumulation of trace coions" 2021 Journal of Membrane Science, 622, 119022. DOI:10.1016/j.memsci.2020.119022.
- Zhang, S., Yang, L., Ding, D., Gao, P., Xia, F., Bruening, M. L. "Highly Rectifying Fluidic Diodes Based on Asymmetric Layer-by-Layer Nanofilms on Nanochannel Membranes" 2021 Analytical Chemistry, 93 (9), pp. 4291-4298. DOI:10.1021/acs.analchem.0c05303.
- Ahmad, M., Yaroshchuk, A., Bruening, M. L. "Moderate pH changes alter the fluxes, selectivities and limiting currents in ion transport through polyelectrolyte multilayers deposited on membranes" 2020 Journal of Membrane Science, 616, 118570. DOI:10.1016/j.memsci.2020.118570.
- Bondarenko, M. P., Bruening, M. L., Yaroshchuk, A. E. "Current-Induced Ion Concentration Polarization at a Perfect Ion-Exchange Patch in an Infinite Insulating Wall" 2020 ChemElectroChem, 7 (6), pp. 1480-1498. DOI:10.1002/celc.201902068.
- Tummons, E. N., Hejase, C. A., Yang, Z., Chew, J. W., Bruening, M. L., Tarabara, V. V. "Oil droplet behavior on model nanofiltration membrane surfaces under conditions of hydrodynamic shear and salinity" 2020 Journal of colloid and interface science, 560 pp. 247-259. DOI:10.1016/j.jcis.2019.10.012.
- Ahmad, M., Tang, C., Yang, L., Yaroshchuk, A., Bruening, M. L. "Layer-by-layer modification of aliphatic polyamide anion-exchange membranes to increase Cl−/SO42− selectivity" 2019 Journal of Membrane Science, 578 pp. 209-219. DOI:10.1016/j.memsci.2019.02.018.