- Concurrent Professor, Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry, University of Notre Dame
- Professor, Department of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering, University of Notre Dame
- Professor, Michigan State University
- Associate Professor, Michigan State University
- Assistant Professor, Michigan State University
- NIH Postdoctoral Fellow, Texas A&M University
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, The Weizmann Institute of Science
- M.S. in Chemistry, Brigham Young University
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering, Brigham Young University
- Benedetti-Pichler Award of the American Microchemical Society
- MSU Innovation of the Year
- MSU College of Natural Science Distinguished Faculty Award
- Society for Electroanalytical Chemistry Young Investigator Award
The Bruening Group develops new thin films for specific protein capture in porous membranes, ion separations in electrodialysis, and controlled protein digestion prior to analysis with mass spectrometry. Potential applications include protein purification, antibody characterization and sequencing, and salt purification or recycling.
- Ding, D.; Yaroshchuk, A. and Bruening, M. L. "Electrodialysis through Nafion Membranes Coated with Polyelectrolyte Multilayers Yields >99% Pure Monovalent Ions at High Recoveries" 2022 Journal of Membrane Science, 647, 120294. DOI: 10.1016/j.memsci.2022.120294.
- Tan, H. Y.; Yang, J. Y.; Linnes, J. C.; Welch, C. J. and Bruening, M. L. "Quantitation of Trastuzumab and an Antibody to SARS-CoV-2 in Minutes using Affinity Membranes in 96-Well Plates" 2022 Analytical Chemistry, 94 (2), pp.884-891. DOI: 10.1021/acs.analchem.1c03654.
- Tang, C.; Bondarenko, M. P.; Yaroshchuk, A. and Bruening, M. L. "Highly Selective Ion Separations Based on Counter-Flow Electromigration in Nanoporous Membranes" 2021 Journal of Membrane Science, 638, 119684. DOI: 10.1016/j.memsci.2021.119684.
- Andrews, W. T.; Bickner, A. N.; Tobias, F.; Ryan, K. A.; Bruening, M. L. and Hummon, A. B. "Electroblotting through Enzymatic Membranes to Enhance Molecular Tissue Imaging" 2021 Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry, 32 (7), pp.1689-1699. DOI: 10.1021/jasms.1c00046.
- Berwanger, J. D.; Tan, H. Y.; Jokhadze, G. and Bruening, M. L. "Determination of the Serum Concentrations of the Monoclonal Antibodies Bevacizumab, Rituximab, and Panitumumab using Porous Membranes Containing Immobilized Peptide Mimotopes" 2021 Analytical Chemistry, 93 (21), pp.7562-7570. DOI: 10.1021/acs.analchem.0c04903.
- Zhang, S. W.; Yang, L.; Ding, D.; Gao, P. C.; Fan, X. and Bruening, M. L. "Highly Rectifying Fluidic Diodes Based on Asymmetric Layer-by-Layer Nanofilms on Nanochannel Membranes" 2021 Analytical Chemistry, 93 (9), pp.4291-4298. DOI: 10.1021/acs.analchem.0c05303.