Donald & Susan Rice Professor of Engineering; Concurrent Professor
- 140C Mccourtney Hall
Notre Dame, IN 46556
- +1 574-631-3024
- Physical/Analytical Chemistry
- Life Processes
Prospective Graduate Students
|2019-present||Donald & Susan Rice Professor of Engineering, Department of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering, University of Notre Dame|
|2016-present||Concurrent Professor, Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry, University of Notre Dame|
|2016-2019||Professor, Department of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering, University of Notre Dame|
|2007-2016||Professor, Michigan State University|
|2002-2007||Associate Professor, Michigan State University|
|1997-2002||Assistant Professor, Michigan State University|
|1995-1997||NIH Postdoctoral Fellow, Texas A&M University|
|1995||Ph.D. in Chemistry, The Weizmann Institute of Science|
|1990||M.S. in Chemistry, Brigham Young University|
|1989||B.S. in Chemical Engineering, Brigham Young University|
2016 Benedetti-Pichler Award of the American Microchemical Society
2015 MSU Innovation of the Year
2014 MSU College of Natural Science Distinguished Faculty Award
2000 Society for Electroanalytical Chemistry Young Investigator Award
The Bruening Group develops new thin films for specific protein capture in porous membranes, ion separations in electrodialysis, and controlled protein digestion prior to analysis with mass spectrometry. Potential applications include protein purification, antibody characterization and sequencing, and salt purification or recycling.
- Yang, J. Y.; Ostafe, R.; Welch, C. J.; Verhalen, B.; Budyak, I. L. and Bruening, M. L. "Rapid Quantitation of various Therapeutic Monoclonal Antibodies using Membranes with Fc-Specific Ligands" 2023 Analytical Chemistry, 95 (22), pp.8541-8551. DOI: 10.1021/acs.analchem.3c00531.
- Cao, W. K. and Bruening, M. L. "Analysis of Protein Glycosylation After Rapid Digestion using Protease-Containing Membranes in Spin Columns" 2023 Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry, 34 (6), pp.1086-1095. DOI: 10.1021/jasms.3c00038.
- Ryan, K. A. and Bruening, M. L. "Online Protein Digestion in Membranes between Capillary Electrophoresis and Mass Spectrometry" 2023 Analyst, 148 (7), pp.1611-1619. DOI: 10.1039/d3an00106g.
- Siwy, Z. S.; Bruening, M. L. and Howorka, S. "Nanopores: Synergy from DNA Sequencing to Industrial Filtration - Small Holes with Big Impact" 2023 Chemical Society Reviews, 52 (6), pp.1983-1994. DOI: 10.1039/d2cs00894g.
- Berwanger, J. D.; Lake, M. A.; Ganguly, S.; Yang, J. Y.; Welch, C. J.; Linnes, J. C. and Bruening, M. "Microporous Affinity Membranes and their Incorporation into Microfluidic Devices for Monitoring of Therapeutic Antibodies" 2023 Talanta, 252, 123842. DOI: 10.1016/j.talanta.2022.123842.
- Tang, C.; Yaroshchuk, A. and Bruening, M. L. "Ion Separations Based on Spontaneously Arising Streaming Potentials in Rotating Isoporous Membranes" 2022 Membranes, 12 (6), 631. DOI: 10.3390/membranes12060631.