- Concurrent Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry, University of Notre Dame
- Associate Professor, Department of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering, University of Notre Dame
- Concurrent Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry, University of Notre Dame
- Assistant Professor, Department of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering, University of Notre Dame
- NIH NRSA Postdoctoral Fellow, Koch Institute, MIT
- Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering, Northwestern University
- M.S. in Biomedical Engineering, Northwestern University
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering, University of Notre Dame
- NIH Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award
- Dudley Childress Award
- American Heart Association Featured Chicago Researcher
Using principles based in supramolecular chemistry – that is, “chemistry beyond the molecule” – the Webber Lab is interested in exploiting specific, dynamic interactions between molecules to facilitate improved therapeutics. With this design inspiration, we are modulating the association and self-assembly of oligopeptides in order to create tailored and dynamic matrices for applications in regenerative medicine. We are also using specific, high affinity host-guest macrocycle chemistry to enable precise targeting and transport of drugs and therapeutic agents. Finally, we are generating new classes of recombinant materials using protein-derived affinity motifs to promote three-dimensional structures. In sum, our work aims to leverage the engineering of supramolecular motifs to improve the practice of medicine.
- Webber, M. J. and Tibbitt, M. W. "Dynamic and Reconfigurable Materials from Reversible Network Interactions" 2022 Nature Reviews Materials, in press. DOI: 10.1038/s41578-021-00412-x.
- Webber, M. J. "Dynamic Soft Materials as Tough as Glass" 2022 Nature Materials, 21 (1), pp.6-7. DOI: 10.1038/s41563-021-01176-z.
- Addonizio, C. J.; Gates, B. D. and Webber, M. J. "Supramolecular "Click Chemistry" for Targeting in the Body" 2021 Bioconjugate Chemistry, 32 (9), pp.1935-1946. DOI: 10.1021/acs.bioconjchem.1c00326.
- Maikawa, C. L.; D'Aquino, A. I.; Vuong, E. T.; Su, B.; Zou, L.; Chen, P. C.; Nguyen, L. T.; Autzen, A.; Mann, J. L.; Webber, M. J. and Appel, E. A. "Affinity-Directed Dynamics of Host-Guest Motifs for Pharmacokinetic Modulation Via Supramolecular PEGylation" 2021 Biomacromolecules, 22 (8), pp.3565-3573. DOI: 10.1021/acs.biomac.1c00648.
- Yu, S. H.; Xian, S. J.; Ye, Z.; Pramudya, I. and Webber, M. J. "Glucose-Fueled Peptide Assembly: Glucagon Delivery Via Enzymatic Actuation" 2021 Journal of the American Chemical Society, 143 (32), pp.12578-12589. DOI: 10.1021/jacs.1c04570.
- Webber, M. J. and Pashuck, E. T. "(Macro)Molecular Self-Assembly for Hydrogel Drug Delivery" 2021 Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, 172, pp.275-295. DOI: 10.1016/j.addr.2021.01.006.