- Concurrent Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry, University of Notre Dame
- Associate Professor, Department of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering, University of Notre Dame
- Concurrent Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry, University of Notre Dame
- Assistant Professor, Department of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering, University of Notre Dame
- NIH NRSA Postdoctoral Fellow, Koch Institute, MIT
- Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering, Northwestern University
- M.S. in Biomedical Engineering, Northwestern University
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering, University of Notre Dame
- NIH Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award
- Dudley Childress Award
- American Heart Association Featured Chicago Researcher
Using principles based in supramolecular chemistry – that is, “chemistry beyond the molecule” – the Webber Lab is interested in exploiting specific, dynamic interactions between molecules to facilitate improved therapeutics. With this design inspiration, we are modulating the association and self-assembly of oligopeptides in order to create tailored and dynamic matrices for applications in regenerative medicine. We are also using specific, high affinity host-guest macrocycle chemistry to enable precise targeting and transport of drugs and therapeutic agents. Finally, we are generating new classes of recombinant materials using protein-derived affinity motifs to promote three-dimensional structures. In sum, our work aims to leverage the engineering of supramolecular motifs to improve the practice of medicine.
- Cai, P. C., Krajina, B. A., Kratochvil, M. J., Zou, L., Zhu, A., Burgener, E. B., Bollyky, P. L., Milla, C. E., Webber, M. J., Spakowitz, A. J., Heilshorn, S. C. "Dynamic light scattering microrheology for soft and living materials" 2021 Soft Matter, 17 (7), pp. 1929-1939. DOI:10.1039/d0sm01597k.
- Webber, M. J., Kamat, N. P., Messersmith, P. B., Lecommandoux, S. "Bioinspired Macromolecular Materials" 2021 Biomacromolecules, 22 (1), pp. 1-3. DOI:10.1021/acs.biomac.0c01614.
- Webber, M. J., Pashuck, E. T. "(Macro)molecular self-assembly for hydrogel drug delivery" 2021 Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, 172, pp. 275-295. DOI:10.1016/j.addr.2021.01.006.
- Zou, L., Addonizio, C. J., Su, B., Sis, M. J., Braegelman, A. S., Liu, D., Webber, M. J. "Supramolecular Hydrogels via Light-Responsive Homoternary Cross-Links" 2021 Biomacromolecules, 22 (1), pp. 171-182. DOI:10.1021/acs.biomac.0c00950.
- Olson, J. E., Braegelman, A. S., Zou, L., Webber, M. J., Camden, J. P. "Capture of Phenylalanine and Phenylalanine-Terminated Peptides Using a Supramolecular Macrocycle for Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering Detection" 2020 Applied Spectroscopy, 74 (11), pp. 1374-1383. DOI:10.1177/0003702820937333.
- Xian, S., Webber, M. J. "Temperature-responsive supramolecular hydrogels" 2020 Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 8 (40), pp. 9197-9211. DOI:10.1039/d0tb01814g.