- Adjunct Professor, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Notre Dame
- Professor, Department of Pediatrics and Integrative Biology Graduate Program, Indiana University School of Medicine, South Bend, IN
- Associate Professor, Department of Pediatrics, Division of Critical Care, Division of Pulmonary and Vascular Biology, Integrative Biology Graduate Program, UT Southwest Medical Center, Dallas, TX
- Associate Professor, Department of Surgery, Division of Surgical Sciences; Department of Pediatrics, UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
- Assistant Professor, Department of Surgery, Division of Surgical Sciences; Department of Pediatrics, UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
- Director, Pediatric Critical Care Fellowship, Children's Hospital of Los Angeles
- Assistant Professor, Department of Pediatrics, Critical Care Medicine, Division of Cardiothoracic Critical Care, University of Southern California
- Assistant Professor, Department of Pediatrics, Division of Critical Care Medicine, Columbia University, New York
- Instructor, Department of Anesthesia, Division of Pediatrics Critical Care Medicine, University of Pittsburgh
- Fellowship, Pediatric Critical Care, Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- Pediatric Residency, Children's Hospital, Columbus, OH
- Pediatric Internship, Children's Hospital, Columbus, OH
- M.D., University of Missouri
- B.A.in Biology, University of Missouri
- Member, Society of Pediatric Research
- Dr. Edward Livingston Trudeau Scholar, American Lung Association
- Finalist for the Louis N. Katz Basic Science Research Prize, American Heart Association
- Pediatric Research Award, Society of Critical Care Medicine
- Clinician Scientist Award, American Heart Association
The Schwarz lab uses transgenic mice, three dimensional cell culture, in vivo tumor, and lung developmental models to determine mechanisms by which the vasculature regulates cancer progression and alveolar formation.
Our main interests are the role that the anti-angiogenic mediator Endothelial Monocyte Activating Polypeptide II (EMAP II, also known as AIMP-1, Scye-1, and p43) has in lung and tumor development. On the cell surface, EMAP II undergoes proteolytic cleavage to generate an extracellular Â»22-kDa C-terminal peptide that functions as an anti-angiogenic protein through inhibition of endothelial cell adhesion to fibronectin, blockade of fibronectin matrix assembly via a5b1 integrin, and interference with vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) induced pro-angiogenic signaling.
Earlier studies identified a direct interaction between vascular growth factors and the regulation of tissue formation. Using pulmonary developmental models, we have shown that vascular growth factors can also impact epithelial –mesenchymal transdifferentiation, extracellular matrix deposition, and airway simplification resulting in physiologic changes in pulmonary function. Currently, our studies focus on the mechanisms that modulate pulmonary vascular growth and the subsequent impact that the vasculature has on alveolar growth by examining vessel mediation of interstitial lung disease, deposition of the extracellular matrix protein, and epithelial cell proliferation.
By using pancreatic cancer models (intraperitoneal and subQ), targeted multi-drug therapy strategies are utilized to determine the role that anti-angiogenic factors alone, and in combination with chemotherapeutic agents, have in regulating tumor cell proliferation and microenvironment, including the dense tumor stromal layer, extracellular matrix deposition, and vessel formation. Recent studies utilizing this strategy demonstrated that this multi-target approach is effective and superior to current conventional chemotherapeutic strategies.
- Crawford, K.; Bontrager, E.; Schwarz, M. A.; Chaturvedi, A.; Lee, D. D.; Sazzad, H. M.; von Holzen, U.; Zhang, C. H.; Schwarz, R. E. and Awasthi, N. "Targeted FGFR/VEGFR/PDGFR Inhibition with Dovitinib Enhances the Effects of Nab-Paclitaxel in Preclinical Gastric Cancer Models" 2021 Cancer Biology & Therapy, 22 (10-12), pp.619-629. DOI: 10.1080/15384047.2021.2011642.
- Hassan, M. S.; Cwidak, N.; Johnson, C.; Daster, S.; Eppenberger-Castori, S.; Awasthi, N.; Li, J.; Schwarz, M. A. and von Holzen, U. "Therapeutic Potential of the Cyclin-Dependent Kinase Inhibitor Flavopiridol on C-Myc Overexpressing Esophageal Cancer" 2021 Frontiers in Pharmacology, 12, 746385. DOI: 10.3389/fphar.2021.746385.
- Grojean, M.; Schwarz, M. A.; Schwarz, J. R.; Hassan, S.; Holzen, U. V.; Zhang, C. H.; Schwarz, R. E. and Awasthi, N. "Targeted Dual Inhibition of C-Met/VEGFR2 Signalling by Foretinib Improves Antitumour Effects of Nanoparticle Paclitaxel in Gastric Cancer Models" 2021 Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, 25 (11), pp.4950-4961. DOI: 10.1111/jcmm.16362.
- Lee, D. D.; Park, S. J.; Zborek, K. L. and Schwarz, M. A. "A Shift from Glycolytic and Fatty Acid Derivatives Toward One-Carbon Metabolites in the Developing Lung during Transitions of the Early Postnatal Period" 2021 American Journal of Physiology-Lung Cellular and Molecular Physiology, 320 (4), pp.L640-L659. DOI: 10.1152/ajplung.00417.2020.
- Ranasinghe, A.; Lee, D. D. and Schwarz, M. A. "Mechanistic Regulation of SPHK1 Expression and Translocation by EMAP II in Pulmonary Smooth Muscle Cells" 2020 Biochimica Et Biophysica Acta-Molecular and Cell Biology of Lipids, 1865 (12), 158789. DOI: 10.1016/j.bbalip.2020.158789.
- Lee, D. D.; Hochstetler, A.; Sah, E.; Xu, H. M.; Lowe, C. W.; Santiaguel, S.; Thornton, J. L.; Pajakowski, A. and Schwarz, M. A. "Influence of Aminoacyl-tRNA Synthetase Complex-Interacting Multifunctional Protein 1 on Epithelial Differentiation and Organization during Lung Development" 2020 American Journal of Physiology-Lung Cellular and Molecular Physiology, 319 (2), pp.L369-L379. DOI: 10.1152/ajplung.00518.2019.