- Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Director of Undergraduate Studies, University of Notre Dame
- Associate Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Concurrent Associate Professor, First Year of Studies, University of Notre Dame
- Adjunct Professor, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- Gleb Mamantov Professorship, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
- Assistant Professor, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Northwestern University
- Ph.D. in Physical Chemistry, Stanford University
- B.S. in Chemistry and Music, University of Notre Dame
- Rev. Edmund P. Joyce, C.S.C, Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching
- Chancellor's Award for Professional Promise, University of Tennessee
- Research and Creative Achievement Award, University of Tennessee
- NSF CAREER Award
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship
It is well known that plasmonic nanostructures are capable of harvesting light and concentrating it in the near field. This special behavior results from the collective oscillation of the conduction electrons in a metallic nanostructure, and has enabled a plethora of exciting applications such as plasmon-enhanced solar cells, photonic circuits, superlenses, chemical and biological sensing, and the detection of single molecules. Underlying many of these processes is the ability of plasmon excitation to greatly enhance electromagnetic fields at the particle surface. The Camden group is working to develop new applications of plasmonic nanostructures and to understand fundamental features of the molecule-plasmon couplings underlying these applications. Our current research efforts include: (1) Understanding the flow of plasmonic energy from nanoparticles at interfaces and into molecules, (2) Development of fast, portable, and cost-effective analytical methods for small molecules based on SERS, and (3) Exploration of surface-enhanced nonlinear spectroscopy, and (4) Direct imaging of plasmon-enhanced fields using electron microscopy.
- Olson, J. E., Hu, Z., Best, M. D., Jensen, L., Camden, J. P. "Surface-enhanced hyper-Raman scattering of Rhodamine 6G isotopologues: Assignment of lower vibrational frequencies" 2021 Journal of Chemical Physics, 154 (3), 034703. DOI:10.1063/5.0031679.
- Olafsson, A., Busche, J. A., Araujo, J. J., Maiti, A., Idrobo, J. C., Gamelin, D. R., Masiello, D. J., Camden, J. P. "Electron Beam Infrared Nano-Ellipsometry of Individual Indium Tin Oxide Nanocrystals" 2020 Nano Letters, 20 (11), pp. 7987-7994. DOI:10.1021/acs.nanolett.0c02772.
- Olson, J. E., Braegelman, A. S., Zou, L., Webber, M. J., Camden, J. P. "Capture of Phenylalanine and Phenylalanine-Terminated Peptides Using a Supramolecular Macrocycle for Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering Detection" 2020 Applied Spectroscopy, 74 (11), pp. 1374-1383. DOI:10.1177/0003702820937333.
- West, C. A., Olafsson, A., Pakeltis, G., Garfinkel, D. A., Rack, P. D., Masiello, D. J., Camden, J. P., Idrobo, J. C. "Plasmon Hybridization in Nanorhombus Assemblies" 2020 Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 124 (49), pp. 27009-27016. DOI:10.1021/acs.jpcc.0c08098.
- Aleshire, K., Pavlovetc, I. M., Collette, R., Kong, X. -., Rack, P. D., Zhang, S., Masiello, D. J., Camden, J. P., Hartland, G. V., Kuno, M. "Far-field midinfrared superresolution imaging and spectroscopy of single high aspect ratio gold nanowires" 2020 Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 117 (5), pp. 2288-2293. DOI:10.1073/pnas.1916433117.
- DeJesus, J. F., Sherman, L. M., Yohannan, D. J., Becca, J. C., Strausser, S. L., Karger, L. F. P., Jensen, L., Jenkins, D. M., Camden, J. P. "A Benchtop Method for Appending Protic Functional Groups to N-Heterocyclic Carbene Protected Gold Nanoparticles" 2020 Angewandte Chemie - International Edition, 59 (19), pp. 7585-7590. DOI:10.1002/anie.202001440.