- Associate Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Concurrent Associate Professor, Department of Physics, University of Notre Dame
- Assistant Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Senior Investigator, Structural Biology and Biophysics, Vertex Pharmaceuticals
- Postdoctoral Fellow, ETH-Zürich, Switzerland
- Ph.D. in Molecular Biophysics, University of Michigan
- B.S. in Applied and Engineering Physics, Cornell University
- Edmund P. Joyce Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching
- Damon Runyon-Walter Winchell Cancer Research Fund Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Molecular Biophysics Predoctoral Training Fellowship
Biophysics, NMR Spectroscopy, Protein and Ligand Dynamics
The Peng Lab works at the interface of the physical and biological sciences to illuminate the role of bio-molecular dynamics in molecular recognition and evolution.
Our main experimental tool is multi-dimensional NMR. We focus on both methods development, and applications to several proteins of therapeutic interest. Our long term interests include: (i) getting a fundamental understanding of signal transduction and protein evolution that includes conformational ensembles and dynamics. This has relevance for understanding protein-protein interaction networks and drug resistance; (ii) new methods for including flexibility information in iterative drug design. We complement our NMR studies with molecular dynamics calculations, protein biochemistry, and collaborations with groups focused on medicinal chemistry.
- Staude, M. W.; Leonard, D. A.; Peng, J. W. "Expanded Substrate Activity of OXA-24/40 in Carbapenem-Resistant Acinetobacter baumannii Involves Enhanced Binding Loop Flexibility." Biochemistry 2016, 55, 6535-6544.
- Mahoney, B. J.; Zhang, M.; Peng, J. W. "Extended Impact of Catalytic Loop Phosphorylation in Human Pin1." Protein Sci. 2016, 25, 83-83.
- Wang, X.; Mahoney, B. J.; Zhang, M.; Zintsmaster, J. S.; Peng, J. W. "Negative Regulation of Peptidyl-Prolyl Isomerase Activity by Interdomain Contact in Human Pin1." Structure 2015, 23, 2224-2233.
- Staude, M. W.; Frederick, T. E.; Natarajan, S. V.; Wilson, B. D.; Tanner, C. E.; Ruggiero, S. T.; Mobashery, S.; Peng, J. W. "Investigation of Signal Transduction Routes within the Sensor/Transducer Protein BlaR1 of Staphylococcus aureus." Biochemistry2015, 54, 1600-1610.
- Frederick, T. E.; Wilson, B. D.; Cha, J.; Mobashery, S.; Peng, J. W. "Revealing Cell-Surface Intramolecular Interactions in the BlaR1 Protein of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus by NMR Spectroscopy." Biochemistry 2014, 53, 10-12.
- Mercedes-Camacho, A. Y.; Mullins, A. B.; Mason, M. D.; Xu, G. G.; Mahoney, B. J.; Wang, X.; Peng, J. W.; Etzkorn, F. A. "Kinetic Isotope Effects Support the Twisted Amide Mechanism of Pin1 Peptidyl-Prolyl Isomerase." Biochemistry 2013, 52, 7707-7713.