- Associate Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Assistant Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of California at Berkeley and Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Carnegie Mellon University
- M.S. in Polymer Chemistry, Fudan University, China
- B.S. in Polymer Chemistry, Fudan University, China
- NSF CAREER Award
- Army Young Investigator Program (YIP) Award
- UMass MRSEC Young Investigator Award
- AzkoNobel Award for Outstanding Graduate Research in Polymer Chemistry, American Chemical Society
- Guy C. Berry Graduate Research Award, Carnegie Mellon University
- McWilliams Fellowship, Carnegie Mellon University
The Gao research group focuses on synthesizing functional polymer materials with controlled nanostructures and understanding their fundamental structure-property relationships. These materials will meet critical needs in the fields of biofunctional materials, environmental remediation and energy conversion. A number of approaches ranging from modern organic synthesis to biomimetic programmed self assembly will be applied to construct these functional materials. By building soft polymer materials ranging in size and complexity from oligomers, to multi-segmented block copolymers, and to shape-persistent hierarchical nanocomposites, various functionalities will be incorporated into these polymers in a predetermined manner. Interesting research projects include:
- Developing new methodologies for efficient polymer synthesis and functionalization.
- Biomimetic assembly of synthetic polymer chains into shape-persistent nanostructures.
- Exploiting nanostructured polymer materials for gas separation and selective adsorption.
- Electro-active polymers and nanocomposites.
- Cuneo, T., Cao, X., Zou, L., Gao, H. "Synthesis of multisegmented block copolymer by Friedel-Crafts hydroxyalkylation polymerization" 2020 Polymer Chemistry, 11 (14), pp. 2542-2549. DOI:10.1039/d0py00197j.
- Cuneo, T., Gao, H. "Recent advances on synthesis and biomaterials applications of hyperbranched polymers" 2020 Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Nanomedicine and Nanobiotechnology. DOI:10.1002/wnan.1640.
- Cuneo, T., Wang, X., Shi, Y., Gao, H. "Synthesis of Hyperbranched Polymers via Metal-Free ATRP in Solution and Microemulsion" 2020 Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics, 221 (6), 2000008. DOI:10.1002/macp.202000008.
- Padilla-Coley, S., Xu, H., Morsby, J., Gao, H., Smith, B. D. "Supramolecular Loading of a Broad Spectrum of Molecular Guests in Hyperbranched Polytriazole Nanoparticles with Cores Containing Multiple Functional Groups" 2020 Biomacromolecules, 21 (6), pp. 2165-2175. DOI:10.1021/acs.biomac.0c00151.
- Zeng, M., Cao, X., Xu, H., Gan, W., Smith, B. D., Gao, H., Yuan, J. "Synthesis and direct assembly of linear-dendritic copolymers: Via CuAAC click polymerization-induced self-assembly (CPISA)" 2020 Polymer Chemistry, 11 (4), pp. 936-943. DOI:10.1039/c9py01636h.
- Naguib, H., Cao, X., Gao, H. "Synthesize Hyperbranched Polymers Carrying Two Reactive Handles via CuAAC Reaction and Thiol–Ene Chemistry" 2019 Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics, 220 (17),1900221. DOI:10.1002/macp.201900221.
Researcher ID: D-1610-2016; Scopus Author ID: 9234610300