- 305C Mccourtney Hall
Notre Dame, IN 46556
- +1 574-631-8023
- Organic Chemistry
Prospective Graduate Students
|2023-present||Adjunct Associate Professor, University of Notre Dame|
|2017-2023||Associate Professor, University of Notre Dame|
|2011-2017||Assistant Professor, University of Notre Dame|
|2009-2011||Postdoctoral Fellow, University of California at Berkeley and Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory|
|2008||Ph.D. in Chemistry, Carnegie Mellon University|
|2003||M.S. in Polymer Chemistry, Fudan University, China|
|2000||B.S. in Polymer Chemistry, Fudan University, China|
2016 NSF CAREER Award
2014 Army Young Investigator Program (YIP) Award
2013 UMass MRSEC Young Investigator Award
2010 AzkoNobel Award for Outstanding Graduate Research in Polymer Chemistry, American Chemical Society
2008 Guy C. Berry Graduate Research Award, Carnegie Mellon University
2007 McWilliams Fellowship, Carnegie Mellon University
The Gao research group focuses on synthesizing functional polymer materials with controlled nanostructures and understanding their fundamental structure-property relationships. These materials will meet critical needs in the fields of biofunctional materials, environmental remediation and energy conversion. A number of approaches ranging from modern organic synthesis to biomimetic programmed self assembly will be applied to construct these functional materials. By building soft polymer materials ranging in size and complexity from oligomers, to multi-segmented block copolymers, and to shape-persistent hierarchical nanocomposites, various functionalities will be incorporated into these polymers in a predetermined manner. Interesting research projects include:
- Developing new methodologies for efficient polymer synthesis and functionalization.
- Biomimetic assembly of synthetic polymer chains into shape-persistent nanostructures.
- Exploiting nanostructured polymer materials for gas separation and selective adsorption.
- Electro-active polymers and nanocomposites.
- Ma, K. L.; Jin, X. Y. and Gao, H. F. "Monodisperse Hyperbranched Polytriazoles as Unimolecular Nanocontainers for Encapsulation of Functional Payloads" 2023 Macromolecular Rapid Communications, in press. DOI: 10.1002/marc.202300121.
- Kipkorir, A.; Jin, X. Y.; Gao, H. F. and Kamat, P. V. "Photoinduced Electron Transfer Across the Polymer-Capped CsPbBr3 Interface in a Polar Medium" 2023 Journal of Chemical Physics, 158 (14), 144702. DOI: 10.1063/5.0143920.
- Ye, Q. H.; Jin, X. Y.; Zhu, B. T.; Gao, H. F. and Wei, N. "Lanmodulin-Functionalized Magnetic Nanoparticles as a Highly Selective Biosorbent for Recovery of Rare Earth Elements" 2023 Environmental Science & Technology, 57 (10), pp.4276-4285. DOI: 10.1021/acs.est.2c08971.
- Ye, Q. H.; Jin, X. Y.; Gao, H. F. and Wei, N. "Site-Specific and Tunable Co-Immobilization of Proteins Onto Magnetic Nanoparticles Via Spy Chemistry" 2022 ACS Applied Bio Materials, 5 (12), pp.5665-5674. DOI: 10.1021/acsabm.2c007095665.
- Jin, X. Y.; Ma, K. L. and Gao, H. F. "Tunable Luminescence and Enhanced Polar Solvent Resistance of Perovskite Nanocrystals Achieved by Surface-Initiated Photopolymerization" 2022 Journal of the American Chemical Society, 144 (44), pp.20411-20420. DOI: 10.1021/jacs.2c08622.
- Ma, K. L.; Jin, X. Y.; Gan, W. P.; Fan, C. K. and Gao, H. F. "Chain-Growth Click Copolymerization for the Synthesis of Branched Copolymers with Tunable Branching Densities" 2022 Polymer Chemistry, 13 (7), pp.891-897. DOI: 10.1039/d1py01635k.
Researcher ID: D-1610-2016; Scopus Author ID: 9234610300; ORCID: 0000-0001-9029-5022