- Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Associate Director, Center for Sustainable Energy at Notre Dame
- Associate Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Assistant Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Pennsylvania
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, University of California, Los Angeles
- B.Sc. in Chemistry, University of Melbourne, Australia
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry
- American Chemical Society (ACS) Fellow
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Kaneb Teaching Award, University of Notre Dame
Research in the Hartland group is focused on using optics to examine the properties of nanomaterials and how these materials interact with their environments. Almost all the projects in the group involve single particle studies, and the development of novel techniques to perform time-resolved and steady state spectroscopy experiments on single particles is a major component of the research. Examples of the processes that are being studied are the propagation of surface plasmon polaritons in metal nanostructures, charge carrier trapping and diffusion in semiconductor nanowires, chemical reactions in nanomaterials, and the effects of viscosity at the nanoscale.
- Wang, J., Yu, K., Yang, Y., Hartland, G. V., Sader, J. E., Wang, G. P. "Strong vibrational coupling in room temperature plasmonic resonators" 2019 Nature Communications, 10 (1), DOI:10.1038/s41467-019-09594-z.
- Beane, G., Brown, B. S., Devkota, T., Hartland, G. V. "Light-Like Group Velocities and Long Lifetimes for Leaky Surface Plasmon Polaritons in Noble Metal Nanostripes" 2019 Journal of Physical Chemistry C, in press, DOI:10.1021/acs.jpcc.9b03001.
- Beane, G., Devkota, T., Brown, B. S., Hartland, G. V. "Ultrafast measurements of the dynamics of single nanostructures: A review" 2019 Reports on Progress in Physics, 82 (1), DOI:10.1088/1361-6633/aaea4b.
- Besteiro, L. V., Yu, P., Wang, Z., Holleitner, A. W., Hartland, G. V., Wiederrecht, G. P., Govorov, A. O. "The fast and the furious: Ultrafast hot electrons in plasmonic metastructures. Size and structure matter" 2019 Nano Today, 27 pp. 120-145. DOI:10.1016/j.nantod.2019.05.006.
- Devkota, T., Beane, G., Yu, K., Hartland, G. V. "Attenuation of acoustic waves in ultrafast microscopy experiments" 2019 Journal of Applied Physics, 125 (16), DOI:10.1063/1.5088136.
- Devkota, T., Brown, B. S., Beane, G., Yu, K., Hartland, G. V. "Making waves: Radiation damping in metallic nanostructures" 2019 Journal of Chemical Physics, 151 (8), DOI:10.1063/1.5117230.