- Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Director of Graduate Studies, University of Notre Dame
- Associate Director, Center for Sustainable Energy at Notre Dame
- Associate Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Assistant Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Pennsylvania
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, University of California, Los Angeles
- B.Sc. in Chemistry, University of Melbourne, Australia
- ACS Award in Experimental Physical Chemistry
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry
- American Chemical Society (ACS) Fellow
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Kaneb Teaching Award, University of Notre Dame
Research in the Hartland group is focused on using optics to examine the properties of nanomaterials and how these materials interact with their environments. Almost all the projects in the group involve single particle studies, and the development of novel techniques to perform time-resolved and steady state spectroscopy experiments on single particles is a major component of the research. Examples of the processes that are being studied are the propagation of surface plasmon polaritons in metal nanostructures, charge carrier trapping and diffusion in semiconductor nanowires, chemical reactions in nanomaterials, and the effects of viscosity at the nanoscale.
- Yu, K., Yang, Y., Wang, J., Hartland, G. V., Wang, G. P. "Nanoparticle-Fluid Interactions at Ultrahigh Acoustic Vibration Frequencies Studied by Femtosecond Time-Resolved Microscopy" 2021 ACS Nano, 15 (1), pp. 1833-1840. DOI:10.1021/acsnano.0c09840.
- Pavlovetc, I. M., Podshivaylov, E. A., Chatterjee, R., Hartland, G. V., Frantsuzov, P. A., Kuno, M. "Infrared photothermal heterodyne imaging: Contrast mechanism and detection limits" 2020 Journal of Applied Physics, 127 (16), DOI:10.1063/1.5142277.
- Aleshire, K., Pavlovetc, I. M., Collette, R., Kong, X. -., Rack, P. D., Zhang, S., Masiello, D. J., Camden, J. P., Hartland, G. V., Kuno, M. "Far-field midinfrared superresolution imaging and spectroscopy of single high aspect ratio gold nanowires" 2020 Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 117 (5), pp. 2288-2293. DOI:10.1073/pnas.1916433117.
- Brown, B. S., Hartland, G. V. "Chemical interface damping for propagating surface plasmon polaritons in gold nanostripes" 2020 Journal of Chemical Physics, 152 (2), 024707. DOI:10.1063/1.5133958.
- Pavlovetc, I. M., Aleshire, K., Hartland, G. V., Kuno, M. "Approaches to mid-infrared, super-resolution imaging and spectroscopy" 2020 Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 22 (8), pp. 4313-4325. DOI:10.1039/c9cp05815j.
- Pavlovetc, I. M.; Podshivaylov, E. A.; Frantsuzov, P. A.; Hartland, G. V.; Kuno, M. "Quantitative infrared photothermal microscopy" 2020 Progress in Biomedical Optics and Imaging - Proceedings of SPIE, 11246, 1124613. DOI: 10.1117/12.2545159.