- Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Director of Graduate Studies, University of Notre Dame
- Associate Director, Center for Sustainable Energy at Notre Dame
- Associate Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Assistant Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Pennsylvania
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, University of California, Los Angeles
- B.Sc. in Chemistry, University of Melbourne, Australia
- ACS Award in Experimental Physical Chemistry
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry
- American Chemical Society (ACS) Fellow
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Kaneb Teaching Award, University of Notre Dame
Research in the Hartland group is focused on using optics to examine the properties of nanomaterials and how these materials interact with their environments. Almost all the projects in the group involve single particle studies, and the development of novel techniques to perform time-resolved and steady state spectroscopy experiments on single particles is a major component of the research. Examples of the processes that are being studied are the propagation of surface plasmon polaritons in metal nanostructures, charge carrier trapping and diffusion in semiconductor nanowires, chemical reactions in nanomaterials, and the effects of viscosity at the nanoscale.
- Chakkamalayath, J.; Hartland, G. V. and Kamat, P. V. "Photoinduced Transformation of Cs(2)Au(2)Br(6)into CsPbBr(3)Nanocrystals Br" 2022 Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, 13 (13), pp.2921-2927. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpclett.2c00473.
- Yu, K.; Jiang, Y. Q.; Wright, C. and Hartland, G. V. "Energy Dissipation for Nanometer Sized Acoustic Oscillators" 2022 Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 126 (8), pp.3811-3819. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpcc.1c10073.
- Brown, B. S. and Hartland, G. V. "Influence of Thermal Diffusion on the Spatial Resolution in Photothermal Microscopy" 2022 Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 126 (7), pp.3560-3568. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpcc.1c10494.
- Wang, J. Z.; Li, M. Y.; Jiang, Y. Q.; Yu, K.; Hartland, G. V. and Wang, G. P. "Polymer Dependent Acoustic Mode Coupling and Hooke's Law Spring Constants in Stacked Gold Nanoplates" 2021 Journal of Chemical Physics, 155 (14), 144701. DOI: 10.1063/5.0066661.
- Hariharan, M. and Hartland, G. V. "Virtual Issue on Ultrafast Charge Separation in Energy Research" 2021 Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 125 (39), pp.21317-21320. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpcc.1c07754.
- Chakkamalayath, J.; Hartland, G. V. and Kamat, P. V. "Light Induced Processes in CsPbBr3-Au Hybrid Nanocrystals: Electron Transfer and Expulsion of Au" 2021 Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 125 (32), pp.17881-17889. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpcc.1c05491.