- Fall 2017
- Assistant Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Washington
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, California Institute of Technology
- B.S. in Chemistry, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award
- Ruth L. Kirschstein NIH Postdoctoral Fellow
- ACS Division of Inorganic Chemistry Young Investigator Award
- Herbert Newby McCoy Award, California Institute of Technology
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship
Research in the Tsui group will focus on the development of new catalysts using principles and techniques from the areas of bioinorganic, organometallic, and nanomaterials chemistry. Biological enzymes and heterogeneous catalysts are capable of activating very strong bonds in small molecules with high activity and specificity. We will design transition metal complexes and nanoscale materials as models of these systems, incorporating new structural or compositional motifs from enzymatic or heterogeneous active sites to enhance the performance of our artifical catalytic systems. An improved fundamental understanding of these systems will have important applications in chemical synthesis, liquid fuels production, and energy storage.
- Prather, K. V.; Stoffel, J. T. and Tsui, E. Y. "Z-Type Ligand Coordination at Colloidal Semiconductor Nanocrystals Modifies Surface Electrostatics" 2022 Chemistry of Materials, 34 (9), pp.3976-3984. DOI: 10.1021/acs.chemmater.1c04439.
- Stoffel, J. T.; Riordan, K. T. and Tsui, E. Y. "Accelerated Reduction and Solubilization of Elemental Sulfur by 1,2-Aminothiols" 2021 Chemical Communications, 57 (93), pp.12488-12491. DOI: 10.1039/d1cc05242j.
- Prather, K. V.; Lee, S. and Tsui, E. Y. "Metal-Carbonyl-Functionalized CdSe Nanocrystals: Synthesis, Surface Redox, and Infrared Intensities" 2021 Inorganic Chemistry, 60 (7), pp.4269-4277. DOI: 10.1021/acs.inorgchem.0c03641.
- Ballesteros, M. and Tsui, E. Y. "Sulfur Transfer Reactions of a Zinc Tetrasulfanido Complex" 2020 Dalton Transactions, 49 (45), pp.16305-16311. DOI: 10.1039/d0dt01384f.
- Schival, K. A.; Gipson, R. R.; Prather, K. V. and Tsui, E. Y. "Photoinduced Surface Charging in Iron-Carbonyl-Functionalized Colloidal Semiconductor Nanocrystals" 2019 Nano Letters, 19 (11), pp.7770-7774. DOI: 10.1021/acs.nanolett.9b02726.
- Ballesteros, M. and Tsui, E. Y. "Reactivity of Zinc Thiolate Bonds: Oxidative Organopolysulfide Formation and S-3 Insertion" 2019 Inorganic Chemistry, 58 (16), pp.10501-10507. DOI: 10.1021/acs.inorgchem.9b01074.
- Assistant Professor
- Office: 278 Stepan Chemistry Hall
- Phone: 574-631-0005
- Send an email
- Visit Website