- Emil T. Hofman Professor of Science, University of Notre Dame
- Director, Notre Dame Integrated Imaging Facility
- Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Associate Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Assistant Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Columbia University
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Oxford University, UK
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Pennsylvania State University
- B.Sc. in Chemistry, University of Melbourne, Australia
- Harold Kohn Endowed Distinguished Alumni Lecturer, The Pennsylvania State University
- Fellow, Royal Society of Chemistry
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Visiting Fellow, Japan Society for Promotion of Science
- Kaneb Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Award
SMART MOLECULES FOR IMAGING, TARGETING, AND HEALTH (SMITH). The specific research projects are diverse and encompass topics such as organic synthesis, membrane biophysics, photonics, and small animal imaging. A major aim is to develop novel molecular imaging probes that can detect dying cells in culture, and tumors and bacterial infection in living animals. Some of the fluorescent imaging probes are commercially available. They help accelerate the pre-clinical stages of drug discovery and development, and also enable new strategies for studying the biology of human disease. The probes may eventually be employed in humans for fluorescence guided surgery. A notable discovery is a family of interlocked molecules called squaraine-rotaxanes which have many potential applications as extremely bright and stable fluorescent Near-IR dyes. An offshoot of this work is the development of new methods of achieving laser-induced photothermolysis for biomedical imaging and therapeutic applications.
- Schreiber, C. L., Li, D. -., Smith, B. D. "High-Performance Near-Infrared Fluorescent Secondary Antibodies for Immunofluorescence" 2021 Analytical Chemistry, 93 (7), pp. 3643-3651. DOI:10.1021/acs.analchem.1c00276.
- Schreiber, C. L., Zhai, C., Smith, B. D. "Chiral figure-eight molecular scaffold for fluorescent probe development" 2021 Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry, 19 (14), pp. 3213-3219. DOI:10.1039/d1ob00306b.
- Shaffer, C. C., Liu, W., Oliver, A. G., Smith, B. D. "Supramolecular Paradigm for Capture and Co-Precipitation of Gold(III) Coordination Complexes" 2021 Chemistry - A European Journal, 27 (2), pp. 751-757. DOI:10.1002/chem.202003680.
- Shaffer, C. C., Smith, B. D. "Macrocyclic and acyclic supramolecular elements for co-precipitation of square-planar gold(III) tetrahalide complexes" 2021 Organic Chemistry Frontiers, 8 (6), pp. 1294-1301. DOI:10.1039/d0qo01562h.
- Zhai, C., Schreiber, C. L., Padilla-Coley, S., Oliver, A. G., Smith, B. D. "Fluorescent Self-Threaded Peptide Probes for Biological Imaging" 2020 Angewandte Chemie - International Edition, 59 (52), pp. 23740-23747. DOI:10.1002/anie.202009599.
- Li, D. -., Schreiber, C. L., Smith, B. D. "Sterically Shielded Heptamethine Cyanine Dyes for Bioconjugation and High Performance Near-Infrared Fluorescence Imaging" 2020 Angewandte Chemie (International ed.in English), 59 (29), pp. 12154-12161. DOI:10.1002/anie.202004449.