- Emil T. Hofman Professor of Science, University of Notre Dame
- Director, Notre Dame Integrated Imaging Facility
- Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Associate Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Assistant Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Columbia University
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Oxford University, UK
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Pennsylvania State University
- B.Sc. in Chemistry, University of Melbourne, Australia
- Harold Kohn Endowed Distinguished Alumni Lecturer, The Pennsylvania State University
- Fellow, Royal Society of Chemistry
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Visiting Fellow, Japan Society for Promotion of Science
- Kaneb Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Award
SMART MOLECULES FOR IMAGING, TARGETING, AND HEALTH (SMITH). The specific research projects are diverse and encompass topics such as organic synthesis, membrane biophysics, photonics, and small animal imaging. A major aim is to develop novel molecular imaging probes that can detect dying cells in culture, and tumors and bacterial infection in living animals. Some of the fluorescent imaging probes are commercially available. They help accelerate the pre-clinical stages of drug discovery and development, and also enable new strategies for studying the biology of human disease. The probes may eventually be employed in humans for fluorescence guided surgery. A notable discovery is a family of interlocked molecules called squaraine-rotaxanes which have many potential applications as extremely bright and stable fluorescent Near-IR dyes. An offshoot of this work is the development of new methods of achieving laser-induced photothermolysis for biomedical imaging and therapeutic applications.
- Li, D. -., Schreiber, C. L., Smith, B. D. "Sterically Shielded Heptamethine Cyanine Dyes for Bioconjugation and High Performance Near-Infrared Fluorescence Imaging" 2020 Angewandte Chemie (International ed.in English), 59 (29), pp. 12154-12161. DOI:10.1002/anie.202004449.
- Padilla-Coley, S., Xu, H., Morsby, J., Gao, H., Smith, B. D. "Supramolecular Loading of a Broad Spectrum of Molecular Guests in Hyperbranched Polytriazole Nanoparticles with Cores Containing Multiple Functional Groups" 2020 Biomacromolecules, 21 (6), pp. 2165-2175. DOI:10.1021/acs.biomac.0c00151.
- Schreiber, C. L., Zhai, C., Dempsey, J. M., McGarraugh, H. H., Matthews, B. P., Christmann, C. R., Smith, B. D. "Paired Agent Fluorescence Imaging of Cancer in a Living Mouse Using Preassembled Squaraine Molecular Probes with Emission Wavelengths of 690 and 830 nm" 2020 Bioconjugate Chemistry, 31 (2), pp. 214-223. DOI:10.1021/acs.bioconjchem.9b00750.
- Stoffel, S., Zhang, Q. -., Li, D. -., Smith, B. D., Peng, J. W. "NMR Relaxation Dispersion Reveals Macrocycle Breathing Dynamics in a Cyclodextrin-based Rotaxane" 2020 Journal of the American Chemical Society, 142 (16), pp. 7413-7424. DOI:10.1021/jacs.9b12524.
- Wen, Y., Mcgarraugh, H. H., Schreiber, C. L., Smith, B. D. "Cell organelle targeting of near-infrared croconaine dye controls photothermal outcome" 2020 Chemical Communications, 56 (51), pp. 6977-6980. DOI:10.1039/d0cc02612c.
- Wen, Y., Schreiber, C. L., Smith, B. D. "Dual-Targeted Phototherapeutic Agents as Magic Bullets for Cancer" 2020 Bioconjugate Chemistry, 31 (3), pp. 474-482. DOI:10.1021/acs.bioconjchem.9b00836.