- 2017 - present
- Assistant Professor, University of Notre Dame
- 2013 - 2017
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Wisconsin, Madison
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, University of Pennsylvania
- B.A. in Chemistry, Rutgers University
- ACS PHYS Division Postdoctoral Research Award
- Hans Neurath Outstanding Promise Award
Femtosecond nonlinear and multidimensional spectroscopies provide windows into an array of molecular properties not available to more conventional optical techniques. By employing these methods as microscopies, new types of image contrast become possible. Research in the Serrano group will focus on both developing these new nonlinear imaging modes as well as using them to characterize structure and dynamics in heterogeneous environments. Other problems of interest include measuring the interaction of drug molecules with protein targets using visible pump-infrared probe spectroscopy and characterizing the effect of macromolecular crowders, which mimic cellular environment, on the kinetics of protein aggregation using multidimensional infrared spectroscopy.
- Edun, D. N., Flanagan, M. R., Serrano, A. L. "Does liquid-liquid phase separation drive peptide folding?" 2021 Chemical Science, 12 (7), pp. 2474-2479. DOI:10.1039/d0sc04993j.
- Cracchiolo, O.M., Geremia, D.K., Corcelli, S.A., Serrano, A.L. "Hydrogen Bond Exchange and Ca2+ Binding of Aqueous N-Methylacetamide Revealed by 2DIR Spectroscopy" 2020 Journal of Physical Chemistry B. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpcb.0c02444
- Edun, D.N., Nelmark, C.E., Serrano, A.L. "Resolution Enhancement in Wide-Field IR Imaging and Time-Domain Spectroscopy Using Dielectric Microspheres" 2020 Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 124 (27), pp.5534-5541. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jcpa.0c02418
- Serrano, A.L., Lomont, J.P., Tu, L.-H., Raleigh, D.P., Zanni, M.T. "A Free Energy Barrier Caused by the Refolding of an Oligomeric Intermediate Controls the Lag Time of Amyloid Formation by hIAPP" 2017 Journal of the American Chemical Society, 139 (46), pp. 16748-16758. DOI: 10.1021/jacs.7b08830
- Kratochvil, H.T., Carr, J.K., Matulef, K., Annen, A.W., Li, H., Maj, M., Ostmeyer, J., Serrano, A.L., Raghuraman, H., Moran, S.D., Skinner, J.L., Perozo, E., Roux, B., Valiyaveetil, F.I., Zanni, M.T. "Instantaneous ion configurations in the K+ion channel selectivity filter revealed by 2D IR spectroscopy" 2016 Science, 353 (6303), pp. 1040-1044. DOI: 10.1126/science.aag1447
- Ostrander, J.S., Serrano, A.L., Ghosh, A., Zanni, M.T. "Spatially Resolved Two-Dimensional Infrared Spectroscopy via Wide-Field Microscopy" 2016 ACS Photonics, 3 (7), pp. 1315-1323. DOI: 10.1021/acsphotonics.6b00297