- Research Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Associate Research Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Associate Specialist, University of California, Santa Cruz
- Assistant Specialist, University of California, Berkeley
- Postdoctoral Research Scholar, University of California, Berkeley
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Waikato University, New Zealand
- M.S. in Chemistry, Waikato University, New Zealand
- B.S. in Chemistry, Waikato University, New Zealand
Crystallography is the study of crystals, their form and structure. In chemistry, we most commonly use crystallography to determine the composition and connectivity of the atoms that make up crystals. From this we can get the 3D molecular structure or the extended structure, which is useful to answer questions of coordination, connectivity, function, reactivity, biological activity, and more. Here at Notre Dame, we use crystallography to study models for the heme site in proteins, to study drug candidates, metal-organic frameworks, and the structure of carbohydrates, as well to study more basic questions of coordination chemistry.
The Molecular Structure Facility is a department resource providing single-crystal X-ray structure determinations for researchers both within the department and without. We perform hundreds of experiments each year, using three state of the art instruments. Most of the experiments are performed by students for their own research after coursework and individual training in crystallography.
- Dembowski, M., Pilgrim, C. D., Hickam, S., Spano, T., Hamlin, D., Oliver, A. G., Casey, W. H., Burns, P. C. "Dynamics of Cation-Induced Conformational Changes in Nanometer-Sized Uranyl Peroxide Clusters" 2020 Inorganic Chemistry, in press. DOI:10.1021/acs.inorgchem.9b03390.
- Rood, J. A., Reehl, S. R., Jacoby, K. A., Oliver, A. "Crystal structures of a series of bis(acetylacetonato)oxovanadium(IV) complexes containing N-donor pyridyl ligands" 2020 Acta Crystallographica Section E: Crystallographic Communications, 76 pp. 826-830. DOI:10.1107/S2056989020006246.
- Silvernail, N. J., Oliver, A. G., Scheidt, W. R. "Temperature effects on structure: Five-coordinate (nitrosyl)(tetratolylporphinato)iron(II)" 2020 Journal of Porphyrins and Phthalocyanines, 24 (5-7), pp. 717-724. DOI:10.1142/S1088424619501517.
- Zhang, W., Meredith, R. J., Oliver, A. G., Carmichael, I., Serianni, A. S. "Glycosidic linkage, N-acetyl side-chain, and other structural properties of methyl 2-acetamido-2-deoxy-β-d-glucopyranosyl-(1→4)-β-d-mannopyranoside monohydrate and related compounds" 2020 Acta Crystallographica Section C: Structural Chemistry, 76 pp. 287-297. DOI:10.1107/S2053229620001515.
- Jie, H., Gajecki, L., Berg, D. J., Oliver, A. G. "A linear chain of carbazolyl-bis(tetrazole) supported copper(II) dimers held together by bridging tribromide anions" 2019 Journal of Coordination Chemistry, 72 (15), pp. 2544-2549. DOI:10.1080/00958972.2019.1659964.
- Xu, M., Traustason, H., Bo, F. D., Hickam, S., Chong, S., Zhang, L., Oliver, A. G., Burns, P. C. "Supramolecular Assembly of Geometrically Unstable Hybrid Organic-Inorganic Uranyl Peroxide Cage Clusters and Their Transformations" 2019 Journal of the American Chemical Society, 141 (32), pp. 12780-12788. DOI:10.1021/jacs.9b05599.