- Research Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Associate Research Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Associate Specialist, University of California, Santa Cruz
- Assistant Specialist, University of California, Berkeley
- Postdoctoral Research Scholar, University of California, Berkeley
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Waikato University, New Zealand
- M.S. in Chemistry, Waikato University, New Zealand
- B.S. in Chemistry, Waikato University, New Zealand
Crystallography is the study of crystals, their form and structure. In chemistry, we most commonly use crystallography to determine the composition and connectivity of the atoms that make up crystals. From this we can get the 3D molecular structure or the extended structure, which is useful to answer questions of coordination, connectivity, function, reactivity, biological activity, and more. Here at Notre Dame, we use crystallography to study models for the heme site in proteins, to study drug candidates, metal-organic frameworks, and the structure of carbohydrates, as well to study more basic questions of coordination chemistry.
The Molecular Structure Facility is a department resource providing single-crystal X-ray structure determinations for researchers both within the department and without. We perform hundreds of experiments each year, using three state of the art instruments. Most of the experiments are performed by students for their own research after coursework and individual training in crystallography.
- Agurto, N., Silva, C. P., Jara, G. S., Maldonado, T., Flores, E., Morales, C. F., Oliver, A., Godoy, F., Pavez, J. "Molecular recognition: Evidence of the redox role of ferrocenyl-imine derivatives in the presence of copper (II) ions" 2019 Electrochimica Acta, 318 pp. 479-485. DOI:10.1016/j.electacta.2019.06.090.
- Hubin, T. J., Walker, A. N., Davilla, D. J., Carder Freeman, T. N., Epley, B. M., Hasley, T. R., Amoyaw, P. N. A., Jain, S., Archibald, S. J., Prior, T. J., Krause, J. A., Oliver, A. G., Tekwani, B. L., Khan, M. O. F. "Tetraazamacrocyclic derivatives and their metal complexes as antileishmanial leads" 2019 Polyhedron, 163 pp. 42-53. DOI:10.1016/j.poly.2019.02.027.
- Liu, W., Oliver, A. G., Smith, B. D. "Stabilization and Extraction of Fluoride Anion Using a Tetralactam Receptor" 2019 Journal of Organic Chemistry, 84 (7), pp. 4050-4057. DOI:10.1021/acs.joc.9b00042.
- Turney, T., Zhang, W., Oliver, A. G., Serianni, A. S. "Structural properties of D-mannopyranosyl rings containing O-Acetyl side-chains" 2019 Acta Crystallographica Section C: Structural Chemistry, 75 pp. 1166-1174. DOI:10.1107/S2053229619008817.
- Xu, M., Traustason, H., Bo, F. D., Hickam, S., Chong, S., Zhang, L., Oliver, A. G., Burns, P. C. "Supramolecular Assembly of Geometrically Unstable Hybrid Organic-Inorganic Uranyl Peroxide Cage Clusters and Their Transformations" 2019 Journal of the American Chemical Society, 141 (32), pp. 12780-12788. DOI:10.1021/jacs.9b05599.
- Zhang, W., Wu, Q., Oliver, A. G., Serianni, A. S. "Conformational analysis of the disaccharide methyl a-d-mannopyranosyl-(1→3)-2-O-acetyl-β-D-manno-pyranoside monohydrate" 2019 Acta Crystallographica Section C: Structural Chemistry, 75 pp. 610-615. DOI:10.1107/S2053229619004728.