- Assistant Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Ruth L. Kirschstein NIH Postdoctoral Fellow, University of California, Berkeley
- Ph.D. in Inorganic Chemistry, Stanford University
- A.B.in Chemistry, summa cum laude, Princeton University
- ACS Division of Inorganic Chemistry Young Investigator Award
- Stanford University William S. Johnson Fellowship
- Stanford Interdisciplinary Graduate Fellowship
- Princeton Undergraduate Research Symposium Grand Prize
- Princeton Energy Grand Challenges Research Fellowship
Research in the Jaffe group combines the diverse chemical properties of molecules with the favorable structural and electronic properties of crystalline inorganic solids to develop new hybrid material platforms. Hybrid organic-inorganic approaches to the mild synthesis and modification of solid-state systems yield fundamental understanding and desired functionality. Emphasis is placed on the analysis of relationships between structural and electronic properties and on addressing key challenges related to a cleaner energy future.
Projects combine synthesis of hybrid and solid-state materials with characterization through crystallography, vibrational and electronic spectroscopy, electrochemistry, and in situ high-pressure diamond-anvil cell techniques. Materials are designed and tuned to target applications such as energy storage, catalysis, and optoelectronics. These materials exhibit intriguing properties including variable band gaps, stimulus-responsive phase transitions, and controllable ionic and electronic conductivity.
- Jaffe, A., Ziebel, M. E., Halat, D. M., Biggins, N., Murphy, R. A., Chakarawet, K., Reimer, J. A., Long, J. R. "Selective, High-Temperature O2 Adsorption in Chemically Reduced, Redox-Active Iron-Pyrazolate Metal-Organic Frameworks" 2020 Journal of the American Chemical Society, 142 (34), pp. 14627-14637. DOI:10.1021/jacs.0c06570.
- Jaffe, A., Mack, S. A., Lin, Y., Mao, W. L., Neaton, J. B., Karunadasa, H. I. "High Compression-Induced Conductivity in a Layered Cu–Br Perovskite" 2020 Angewandte Chemie - International Edition, 59 (10), pp. 4017-4022. DOI:10.1002/anie.201912575.
- Smith, M. D., Jaffe, A., Dohner, E. R., Lindenberg, A. M., Karunadasa, H. I. "Structural origins of broadband emission from layered Pb-Br hybrid perovskites" 2017 Chemical Science, 8 (6), pp. 4497-4504. DOI:10.1039/c7sc01590a.
- Jaffe, A., Lin, Y., Beavers, C. M., Voss, J., Mao, W. L., Karunadasa, H. I. "High-pressure single-crystal structures of 3D lead-halide hybrid perovskites and pressure effects on their electronic and optical properties" 2016 ACS Central Science, 2 (4), pp. 201-209. DOI:10.1021/acscentsci.6b00055.
- Jaffe, A., Lin, Y., Mao, W. L., Karunadasa, H. I. "Pressure-induced conductivity and yellow-to-black piezochromism in a layered Cu-Cl hybrid perovskite" 2015 Journal of the American Chemical Society, 137 (4), pp. 1673-1678. DOI:10.1021/ja512396m.
- Jaffe, A., Saldivar Valdes, A., Karunadasa, H. I. "Quinone-functionalized carbon black cathodes for lithium batteries with high power densities" 2015 Chemistry of Materials, 27 (10), pp. 3568-3571. DOI:10.1021/acs.chemmater.5b00990.