- Assistant Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Ruth L. Kirschstein NIH Postdoctoral Fellow, University of California, Berkeley
- Ph.D. in Inorganic Chemistry, Stanford University
- A.B.in Chemistry, summa cum laude, Princeton University
- ACS Division of Inorganic Chemistry Young Investigator Award
- Stanford University William S. Johnson Fellowship
- Stanford Interdisciplinary Graduate Fellowship
- Princeton Undergraduate Research Symposium Grand Prize
- Princeton Energy Grand Challenges Research Fellowship
Research in the Jaffe group combines the diverse chemical properties of molecules with the favorable structural and electronic properties of crystalline inorganic solids to develop new hybrid material platforms. Hybrid organic-inorganic approaches to the mild synthesis and modification of solid-state systems yield fundamental understanding and desired functionality. Emphasis is placed on the analysis of relationships between structural and electronic properties and on addressing key challenges related to a cleaner energy future.
Projects combine synthesis of hybrid and solid-state materials with characterization through crystallography, vibrational and electronic spectroscopy, electrochemistry, and in situ high-pressure diamond-anvil cell techniques. Materials are designed and tuned to target applications such as energy storage, catalysis, and optoelectronics. These materials exhibit intriguing properties including variable band gaps, stimulus-responsive phase transitions, and controllable ionic and electronic conductivity.
- Jaffe, A.; Ziebel, M. E.; Halat, D. M.; Biggins, N.; Murphy, R. A.; Chakarawet, K.; Reimer, J. A. and Long, J. R. "Selective, High-Temperature O-2 Adsorption in Chemically Reduced, Redox-Active Iron-Pyrazolate Metal-Organic Frameworks" 2020 Journal of the American Chemical Society, 142 (34), pp.14627-14637. DOI: 10.1021/jacs.0c06570.
- Lee, J. H.; Jaffe, A.; Lin, Y.; Karunadasa, H. I. and Neaton, J. B. "Origins of the Pressure-Induced Phase Transition and Metallization in the Halide Perovskite (CH3NH3)PbI3" 2020 ACS Energy Letters, 5 (7), pp.2174-2181. DOI: 10.1021/acsenergylett.0c00772.
- Jaffe, A.; Mack, S. A.; Lin, Y.; Mao, W. L.; Neaton, J. B. and Karunadasa, H. I. "High Compression-Induced Conductivity in a Layered Cu-Br Perovskite" 2020 Angewandte Chemie-International Edition, 59 (10), pp.4017-4022. DOI: 10.1002/anie.201912575.
- Jaffe, A.; Lin, Y. and Karunadasa, H. I. "Halide Perovskites Under Pressure: Accessing New Properties through Lattice Compression" 2017 ACS Energy Letters, 2 (7), pp.1549-1555. DOI: 10.1021/acsenergylett.7b00284.
- Smith, M. D.; Jaffe, A.; Dohner, E. R.; Lindenberg, A. M. and Karunadasa, H. I. "Structural Origins of Broadband Emission from Layered Pb-Br Hybrid Perovskites" 2017 Chemical Science, 8 (6), pp.4497-4504. DOI: 10.1039/c7sc01590a.
- Jaffe, A.; Lin, Y.; Mao, W. L. and Karunadasa, H. I. "Pressure-Induced Metallization of the Halide Perovskite (CH3NH3)PbI3" 2017 Journal of the American Chemical Society, 139 (12), pp.4330-4333. DOI: 10.1021/jacs.7b01162.
- Assistant Professor
- Office: 375 Stepan Chemistry Hall
- Phone: 574-631-2696
- Send an email
- Visit Website