- Emeritus Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Associate Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Assistant Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Lecturer, University of Glasgow, Scotland
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, University of Leeds, England
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Purdue University
- Ph.D. in Inorganic Chemistry, University of Glasgow, Scotland
- B.Sc. in Chemistry, University of Glasgow, Scotland
- Joyce Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching
- Elected Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry
- Faculty Award, University of Notre Dame
- Kaneb Teaching Award
Professor Lappin has worked in the area of mechanistic inorganic chemistry for the past twenty-five years. His interests cover both substitution reactions and redox processes of transition metal ion complexes and range from reactions of metalloproteins in biological systems to the corrosion chemistry associated with chemical reactors. Studies of cooperation between multiple reaction centers in chemical reactions have been a long standing area of research, particularly those involving multiple electron transfer or coupled electron and ion transfer.
Over the last decade the Lappin group has investigated phemomena associated with chiral induction in electron transfer and atom transfer reactions involving metal ion complexes and has provided much of the insight required for the interpretation of this effect. The inductions tend to be small but provide a very sensitive mechanistic probe. They occur quite generally in both outer-sphere and inner-sphere reactions.
Work in this area encompasses developments in molecular and chiral recognition and the characterization of weak interactions between metal complexes. These studies have led to the design of novel chiral ligands and investigations of new magnetic materials based on chiral paramagnetic metal complexes.
- Levín, P., Escudero, D., Díaz, N., Oliver, A., Lappin, A. G., Ferraudi, G., Lemus, L. "Structural and Photochemical Properties of Zn(II) Phenanthroline-Derived Complexes: From Mononuclear to Bimetallic and Circular-Trimetallic Helicates" 2020 Inorganic Chemistry, 59 (3), pp. 1660-1674. DOI:10.1021/acs.inorgchem.9b02773.
- Maldonado, T., Ferraudi, G., Lappin, A. G., Godoy, F. "Excited States versus Reaction Intermediates as Active Species in Photoinduced Redox Reactions of Cyrhetrenyl and Ferrocenyl Chalcones: A 351 nm Flash Photolysis Study" 2019 Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 123 (43), pp. 9274-9281. DOI:10.1021/acs.jpca.9b06603.
- Díaz, C., Ferraudi, G., Lappin, A. G., Oliver, A., Isaacs, M. "Synthesis and characterization of low-melting ferrocenyl salts: a study of thermal and photochemical redox reactions" 2018 Journal of Coordination Chemistry, 71 (16-18), pp. 2584-2603. DOI:10.1080/00958972.2018.1504036.
- Díaz, D. E., Llanos, L., Arce, P., Lorca, R., Guerrero, J., Costamagna, J., Aravena, D., Ferraudi, G., Oliver, A., Lappin, A. G., Lemus, L. "Steric and Electronic Factors Affecting the Conformation of Bimetallic CuI Complexes: Effect of the Aliphatic Spacer of Tetracoordinating Schiff-Base Ligands" 2018 Chemistry - A European Journal, 24 (52), pp. 13839-13849. DOI:10.1002/chem.201802290.
- Maisuls, I., Cabrerizo, F.M., Lappin, A.G., Ruiz, G.T., Ferraudi, G.J. "Photophysical properties of [(norharmane)Re(CO)3 (L)]+ complexes (L = bpy, phen or dppz). Redox behavior of the excited states and their interaction with Calf Thymus DNA" 2018 Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry, 364, pp. 169-176. DOI: 10.1016/j.jphotochem.2018.05.007
- Ragone, F., Gara, P.D., García Einschlag, F.S., Lappin, A.G., Ferraudi, G.J., Wolcan, E., Ruiz, G.T. "Photophysics, photochemistry and thermally-induced redox reactions of a (Pterin)rhenium(I) complex" 2018 Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry, 358, pp. 147-156. DOI: 10.1016/j.jphotochem.2018.02.015
- Emeritus Professor
- Office: 256 Nieuwland Science Hall
- Phone: 574-631-7820
- Send an email