In case you are not familiar with LinkedIn, it the world's largest professional networking site with over 50 million members. The purpose of the site is to allow registered users to maintain a list of contact details of people they know and trust in a professional setting. The list of connections can then be used in many ways such as (1) to gain an introduction to someone you wish to know through a mutual, trusted contact (2) to find jobs, people and business opportunities recommended in your contact network (3) employers can list jobs and search for potential candidates and (4) you can review the profile of hiring managers and find which of their existing contacts can introduce you.
LinkedIn is free to join. It works much like the popular social networking site Facebook, in that it allows you to post information about yourself, connect with your contacts and join groups you have affiliation with for further networking. Unlike Facebook, LinkedIn is a business-oriented social networking site. You can post current and past positions, education, and display recommendations for positions. Groups and subgroups have discussion boards, news and job postings to allow communication amongst members.
The Notre Dame Chemistry Alumni group is presently a subgroup of the Notre Dame Graduate Student Alumni group and membership in this parent group is required to join the Chemistry group. We do encourage all past members of the department to join (undergraduates, graduates, postdocs, faculty, staff etc.).
Directions on how to join LinkedIn and join the Notre Dame Chemistry Alumni group are listed below.
How do I join LinkedIn?
1. Go to http://www.linkedin.com
2. Complete the brief online application.
3. Begin to create your online professional profile.LinkedIn allows you to import your resume or CV to assist you in building your online profile.
4. Build your contact list by inviting people you know and trust to connect
5. Join groups and subgroups you have affiliation with to increase your network.
How do I join the Notre Dame Chemistry Alumni group? First you have to join the Notre Dame Graduate Student Alumni group (parent group) before you can join the Notre Dame Chemistry Alumni group (subgroup). If you are not a member of the parent group, follow directions A. If you are a member of the parent group, follow directions B.
You can join the subgroup from the Groups Directory by taking the following steps:
1. Go to Groups Directory.
2. Search for Notre Dame Chemistry Alumni group under keywords.
3. Click on Join Subgroup& next to the Notre Dame Chemistry Alumni group.
4. Complete the form that enables you to join the subgroup and parent group
5. You can check the status of your membership in the subgroup and parentgroup from your My groups page.
You can join subgroups directly from within the parent group of which you are a member by:
1. Go to the parent group (Notre Dame Graduate Student Alumni group).
2. Click on the ‘Subgroup tab.
3. Click the ‘Join Subgroup’ link next to the Notre Dame Chemistry Alumni group.
If you have questions please direct them to Deanna O'Donnell (email@example.com).