Professor; Director of Graduate Studies
- 159 Stepan Chemistry
Notre Dame, IN 46556
- +1 574-631-9320
- Physical/Analytical Chemistry
Prospective Graduate Students
|2004-present||Professor, University of Notre Dame|
|2020-present||Director of Graduate Studies, University of Notre Dame|
|2013-2015||Associate Director, Center for Sustainable Energy at Notre Dame|
|2000-2004||Associate Professor, University of Notre Dame|
|1994-2000||Assistant Professor, University of Notre Dame|
|1991-1994||Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Pennsylvania|
|1991||Ph.D. in Chemistry, University of California, Los Angeles|
|1985||B.Sc. in Chemistry, University of Melbourne, Australia|
2021 ACS Award in Experimental Physical Chemistry
2014 Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry
2011 American Chemical Society (ACS) Fellow
2009 Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
2004 Kaneb Teaching Award, University of Notre Dame
Research in the Hartland group is focused on using optics to examine the properties of nanomaterials and how these materials interact with their environments. Almost all of the projects in the group involve single particle studies, and the development of novel techniques to perform time-resolved and steady state spectroscopy experiments on single particles is a major component of the research. Examples of the processes that are being studied are the propagation of surface plasmon polaritons in metal nanostructures, charge carrier trapping and diffusion in semiconductor nanowires, chemical reactions in nanomaterials, and the effects of viscosity at the nanoscale. The work is very interdisciplinary, bridging the fields of physical and analytical chemistry and involving collaborations with groups around the world as well as at the University of Notre Dame.
- Yu, K.; Jiang, Y. Q.; Chen, Y. A.; Hu, X. Y.; Chang, J. L.; Hartland, G. V. and Wang, G. P. "Compressible Viscoelasticity of Cell Membranes Determined by Gigahertz-Frequency Acoustic Vibrations" 2023 Photoacoustics, 31, 100494. DOI: 10.1016/j.pacs.2023.100494.
- Wright, C. and Hartland, G. V. "Mode Specific Dynamics for the Acoustic Vibrations of a Gold Nanoplate" 2023 Photoacoustics, 30, 100476. DOI: 10.1016/j.pacs.2023.100476.
- Geiger, F. M. and Hartland, G. V. "Sixty Years of Surface-Specific Spectroscopy" 2022 Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 126 (34), pp.6367-6371. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpcb.2c05020.
- Chakkamalayath, J.; Hartland, G. V. and Kamat, P. V. "Photoinduced Transformation of Cs(2)Au(2)Br(6)into CsPbBr(3)Nanocrystals Br" 2022 Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, 13 (13), pp.2921-2927. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpclett.2c00473.
- Yu, K.; Jiang, Y. Q.; Wright, C. and Hartland, G. V. "Energy Dissipation for Nanometer Sized Acoustic Oscillators" 2022 Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 126 (8), pp.3811-3819. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpcc.1c10073.
- Brown, B. S. and Hartland, G. V. "Influence of Thermal Diffusion on the Spatial Resolution in Photothermal Microscopy" 2022 Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 126 (7), pp.3560-3568. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpcc.1c10494.