Currently, the department consists of approximately:
38 Tenure-track faculty
- 14 AAAS members
- 12 NSF CAREER grant awardees
- 3 Cottrell Teacher Scholar Fellowships
- 5 Dreyfus Foundation Fellows
- 3 Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellowships
- 6 Fellows of the Royal Society of Chemistry
- 4 Fellows of the American Chemical Society
- 180 Graduates students
- 40 Postdoctoral fellows
- 27 Research and professional faculty
- 12 Concurrent or adjunct faculty
In 2011-12 researchers in the Department held in excess of 70 external research awards, consisting of over $20M in funding. Over 200 scholarly articles were published.
The Department occupies two connected buildings, Nieuwland Science Hall and the Stepan Hall of Chemistry and Biochemistry. Departmental researchers also occupy significant space in Harper Hall, Raclin-Carmichael Hall, Stinson-Remick Hall, Fitzpatrick Hall, and the Notre Dame Radiation Laboratory. Combined, this constitutes approximately 90,000 square feet of faculty research space. In addition, our faculty are integral users of the exceptional core facilities on campus. All undergraduate laboratory instruction is provided in Jordan Hall of Science. At over 100,000 square feet, it represents one of the largest facilities in the United States dedicated to undergraduate instruction.