- Emil T. Hofman Chair, University of Notre Dame
- Director, Notre Dame Integrated Imaging Facility
- Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Associate Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Assistant Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Columbia University
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Oxford University, UK
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Pennsylvania State University
- B.Sc. in Chemistry, University of Melbourne, Australia
- Fellow, Royal Society of Chemistry
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Visiting Fellow, Japan Society for Promotion of Science
- Kaneb Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Award
SMART MOLECULES FOR IMAGING, TARGETING, AND HEALTH (SMITH). The specific research projects are diverse and encompass topics such as organic synthesis, membrane biophysics, photonics, and small animal imaging. A major aim is to develop novel molecular imaging probes that can detect dying cells in culture, and tumors and bacterial infection in living animals. Some of the fluorescent imaging probes are commercially available. They help accelerate the pre-clinical stages of drug discovery and development, and also enable new strategies for studying the biology of human disease. The probes may eventually be employed in humans for fluorescence guided surgery. A notable discovery is a family of interlocked molecules called squaraine-rotaxanes which have many potential applications as extremely bright and stable fluorescent Near-IR dyes. An offshoot of this work is the development of new methods of achieving laser-induced photothermolysis for biomedical imaging and therapeutic applications.
- Harmatys, K. M.; Battles, P. M.; Peck, E. M.; Spence, G. T.; Roland, F. M.; Smith, B. D. "Selective photothermal inactivation of cells labeled with near-infrared croconaine dye." Chem. Commun. 2017, 53, 9906-9909.
- Shaw, S. K.; Liu, W.; Brennan, S. P.; Betancourt-Mendiola, M. d. L.; Smith, B. D. "Non-Covalent Assembly Method that Simultaneously Endows a Liposome Surface with Targeting Ligands, Protective PEG Chains, and Deep-Red Fluorescence Reporter Groups." Chem.-Eur. J. 2017, 23, 12646-12654.
- Gomez-Duran, C. F. A.; Liu, W.; Betancourt-Mendiola, M. d. L.; Smith, B. D. "Structural Control of Kinetics for Macrocycle Threading by Fluorescent Squaraine Dye in Water." J. Org. Chem. 2017, 82, 8334-8341.
- Jarvis, T. S.; Collins, C. G.; Dempsey, J. M.; Oliver, A. G.; Smith, B. D. "Synthesis and Structure of 3,3-Dimethylindoline Squaraine Rotaxanes." J. Org. Chem. 2017, 82, 5819-5825.
- Rice, D. R.; Mendiola, M. d. L. B.; Murillo-Solano, C.; Checkley, L. A.; Ferdig, M. T.; Pizarro, J. C.; Smith, B. D. "Antiplasmodial activity of targeted zinc(II)-dipicolylamine complexes." Bioorg. Med. Chem. 2017, 25, 2754-2760.
- Liu, W.; Gomez-Duran, C. F. A.; Smith, B. D. "Fluorescent Neuraminidase Assay Based on Supramolecular Dye Capture After Enzymatic Cleavage." J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2017, 139, 6390-6395.