- Emil T. Hofman Chair, University of Notre Dame
- Director, Notre Dame Integrated Imaging Facility
- Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Associate Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Assistant Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Columbia University
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Oxford University, UK
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Pennsylvania State University
- B.Sc. in Chemistry, University of Melbourne, Australia
- Elected Fellow, Royal Society of Chemistry
- Elected Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Visiting Fellow, Japan Society for Promotion of Science
- Kaneb Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Award
SMART MOLECULES FOR IMAGING, TARGETING, AND HEALTH (SMITH). The specific research projects are diverse and encompass topics such as organic synthesis, membrane biophysics, photonics, and small animal imaging. A major aim is to develop novel molecular imaging probes that can detect dying cells in culture, and tumors and bacterial infection in living animals. Some of the fluorescent imaging probes are commercially available. They help accelerate the pre-clinical stages of drug discovery and development, and also enable new strategies for studying the biology of human disease. The probes may eventually be employed in humans for fluorescence guided surgery. A notable discovery is a family of interlocked molecules called squaraine-rotaxanes which have many potential applications as extremely bright and stable fluorescent Near-IR dyes. An offshoot of this work is the development of new methods of achieving laser-induced photothermolysis for biomedical imaging and therapeutic applications.
- Biomarkers and Molecular Probes for Cell Death Imaging and Targeted Therapeutics. Smith, B. A.; Smith, B. D. Bioconjugate Chem. 23: 1989−2006 (2012).
- Multivalent Dendritic Molecules as Broad Spectrum Bacteria Agglutination Agents. Xiao, S. Abu-Esba. L.; Turkyilmaz, S.; White, A. G.; Smith, B. D. Theranostics 3: 658-666 (2013).
- In Vivo Imaging Using Polymeric Nanoparticles Stained With Near-Infrared Chemiluminescent and Fluorescent Squaraine Catenane Endoperoxide. Lee, J-J.; White, A. G.; Rice, D. R.; Smith, B. D. Chem. Commun. 49: 3016 – 3018 (2013).
- Squaraine Rotaxane Shuttle as a Ratiometric Deep-Red Optical Chloride Sensor. Collins, C. G.; Peck, E. M.; Kramer, P. J.; Bradley D. Smith, B. D. Chem. Sci. 4: 2557-2563 (2013).
- Activated Photothermal Heating Using Croconaine Dyes. Spence, G. T.; Hartland, G. V.; Smith, B. D. Chem. Sci. 4: 4240 – 4244 (2013).
For more publications and information, please visit the Smith group page.