- Teaching Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Associate Teaching Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Assistant Teaching Professor, University of Notre Dame
- University Instructor, Organic Laboratory Manager, Duke University
- Postdoctoral Associate, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Duke University
- B.S. in Chemistry (Honors), State University of New York at Oswego
- Shilts/Leonard Award for Excellence in Teaching, College of Science, University of Notre Dame
- Rev. Edmund P. Joyce Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, University of Notre Dame
- Thomas P. Madden Award for Exceptional Teaching of First Year Students, University of Notre Dame
Dr. Parise's interests include development of more effective teaching methods for large lecture courses and improving organic chemistry pedagogy in both the classroom and laboratory. He administers a new instructor training program in organic chemistry and is currently developing auxiliary courses aimed at supplementing student preparation for introductory organic courses.
Dr. Parise is coauthor of the textbook "Organic Chemistry, 7th Edition," with Marc Loudon, and its Study Guide and Solutions Manual. He is also developing a new interactive digital Organic Chemistry textbook, which focuses on helping students develop the skills necessary to succeed in an organic chemistry course.
- Loudon, M., Parise, J. "Organic Chemistry, 7th Edition" 2021, W.H. Freeman and Co. Publishers.
- Wietstock, S.M., Reck, C., Parise, J. "25th biennial conference on chemical education, July 29-August 2, 2018, University of Notre Dame, South Bend, Indiana" 2017 Journal of Chemical Education, 94 (10), pp. 1404-1405. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jchemed.7b00711
- Schmitt, A.A., Parise, J.A. "Introducing scientific writing in a second semester organic chemistry laboratory course" 2012 ACS Symposium Series, 1108, pp. 51-71. DOI: 10.1021/bk-2012-1108.ch004
- Teaching Professor
- Office: 416 Jordan Hall
- Phone: 574-631-4431
- Send an email