Associate Professor; Director of Graduate Admissions
- 258 Stepan Chemistry
Notre Dame, IN 46556
- +1 574-631-4042
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
Prospective Graduate Students
|2017-present||Associate Professor, University of Notre Dame|
|2011-2017||Assistant Professor, University of Notre Dame|
|2008-2011||Postdoctoral Fellow, California Institute of Technology|
|2009||Ph.D. in Chemistry, University of Chicago|
|2003||M.S. in Chemistry, The University of Chicago|
|2000||B.S. in Chemical Engineering, University Politehnica of Bucharest, Romania|
2016 NSF CAREER Award
2016 ChemComm Emerging Investigator
2016 Dalton Transactions New Talent Americas across academia and US national laboratories
2016 Inorganica Chimica Acta Next Generation
2008-2011 BP Postdoctoral Fellowship
2002-2004 McCormick Graduate Fellowship
The Iluc research group focuses on the activation and functionalization of inert molecules, with an emphasis on C–H bonds. These are imperative scientific problems since less expensive and more readily available feedstocks could be employed to meet some of today's energy demands.The approach used by the Iluc group is the design of metal complexes that take advantage of latent reactivity: either electrophilic metal centers protected by weak interactions with a supporting ligand or that arising from metal-ligand cooperation. The group will span synthesis, characterization, and mechanistic studies with an emphasis on the understanding of reactivity and design of new catalytic cycles.
- Hoffbauer, M. R. and Iluc, V. M. "[2+2] Cycloadditions with an Iron Carbene: A Critical Step in Enyne Metathesis" 2021 Journal of the American Chemical Society, 143 (15), pp.5592-5597. DOI: 10.1021/jacs.0c12175.
- Cui, P.; Hoffbauer, M. R.; Vyushkova, M. and Iluc, V. M. "Oxidation Reactions of a Nucleophilic Palladium Carbene: Mono and Bi-Radical Carbenes" 2019 Dalton Transactions, 48 (26), pp.9663-9668. DOI: 10.1039/c9dt00585d.
- Deziel, A. P.; Hoffbauer, M. R. and Iluc, V. M. "Square Planar Nucleophilic and Radical Pt(II) Carbenes" 2019 Organometallics, 38 (4), pp.879-887. DOI: 10.1021/acs.organomet.8b00864.
- Hoffbauer, M. R.; Comanescu, C. C. and Iluc, V. M. "Reactivity of a Pd(II) Carbene Towards 2,6-Dimesitylphenyldiazomethane and 2,6-Dimesitylphenylazide" 2019 Polyhedron, 158, pp.352-356. DOI: 10.1016/j.poly.2018.11.002.
- Hoffbauer, M. R.; Comanescu, C. C.; Dymm, B. J. and Iluc, V. M. "Influence of the Leaving Group on C-H Activation Pathways in Palladium Pincer Complexes" 2018 Organometallics, 37 (13), pp.2086-2094. DOI: 10.1021/acs.organomet.8b00237.
- Comanescu, C. C. and Iluc, V. M. "E-H (E = N, O) Bond Activation by a Nucleophilic Palladium Carbene" 2018 Polyhedron, 143 pp.176-183. DOI: 10.1016/j.poly.2017.10.007.