- Associate Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Assistant Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Postdoctoral Fellow, California Institute of Technology
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, University of Chicago
- M.S. in Chemistry, The University of Chicago
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering, University Politehnica of Bucharest, Romania
- NSF CAREER Award
- ChemComm Emerging Investigator
- Dalton Transactions New Talent Americas across academia and US national laboratories
- Inorganica Chimica Acta Next Generation
- BP Postdoctoral Fellowship
- McCormick Graduate Fellowship
The Iluc research group focuses on the activation and functionalization of inert molecules, with an emphasis on C–H bonds. These are imperative scientific problems since less expensive and more readily available feedstocks could be employed to meet some of today's energy demands.The approach used by the Iluc group is the design of metal complexes that take advantage of latent reactivity: either electrophilic metal centers protected by weak interactions with a supporting ligand or that arising from metal-ligand cooperation. The group will span synthesis, characterization, and mechanistic studies with an emphasis on the understanding of reactivity and design of new catalytic cycles.
- Holland, A. M.; Oliver, A. G.; Iluc, V. M. "Iron pyrrole-based PNP pincer ligand complexes as catalyst precursors." Acta Crystallogr. C2017, 73, 569-574.
- Barrett, B. J.; Iluc, V. M. "Metal-ligand cooperation between palladium and a diphosphine ligand with an olefinic backbone." Inorg. Chim. Acta 2017, 460, 35-42.
- Barrett, B. J.; Iluc, V. M. "An Adaptable Chelating Diphosphine Ligand for the Stabilization of Palladium and Platinum Carbenes." Organometallics 2017, 36, 730-741.
- Vilanova, S. P.; Iluc, V. M. "Aryl and Benzyl C-H Activation of N-Substituted PNP Ligands." Organometallics 2016, 35, 2110-2123.
- Comanescu, C. C.; Iluc, V. M. "E-H (E = B, Si, Ge) bond activation of pinacolborane, silanes, and germanes by nucleophilic palladium carbene complexes." Chem. Commun.2016, 52, 9048-9051.
- Cui, P.; Hoffbauer, M. R.; Vyushkova, M.; Iluc, V. M. "Heterobimetallic Pd-K carbene complexes via one-electron reductions of palladium radical carbenes." Chem. Sci.2016, 7, 4444-4452.