Viktor Krchňák studied chemistry at the Faculty of Natural Sciences of the Masaryk University in Brno, Czechoslovakia. He earned his PhD in organic chemistry from the Institute of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry of the Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences in Prague, under the supervision of Prof. Zdenek Arnold. After holding several industrial positions with small biotech companies in the US, he joined the faculty of the University of Notre Dame as a research professor in May 2003.
Research interest covers combinatorial chemistry in general and solid-phase chemistry in particular. His group introduced novel coding technique for the synthesis on modular solid support (lantern necklace coding), new concept for the solid phase synthesis of traceless heterocyclic libraries, cleavage of resin-bound compounds by gaseous reagents, the “split-split” method for the synthesis of sizable combinatorial libraries (up to 60,000 compounds), instrumentation and logistics for high throughput organic synthesis. Numerous inventions resulted in commercially available personal chemistry tools (www.torviq.com). Current focus is design of efficient synthetic routes for stereoselective synthesis of nitrogenous heterocycles with 3D architecture.
- La-Venia, A.; Medran, N.S.;Krchnak, V.; Testero, S.A. "Synthesis of a Small Library of Imidazolidin-2-ones using Gold Catalysis on Solid Phase." ACS Comb. Sci. 2016, 18(8), 482-489.
- Schutznerova, E.; Krchnak, V. "N-Oxide as an Intramolecular Oxidant in the Baeyer-Villiger Oxidation: Synthesis of 2-Alkyl-2H-indazol-3-yl Benzoates and 2-Alkyl-1,2,-dihydro-3H-indazol-3ones" J. Org. Chem. 2016, 81(9), 3585-3596.
- Carbain, B.; Schutznerova, E.; Pribylka, A.; Krchnak, V. "Solid-Phase Synthesis of 3,4-Dihydroquinoxalin-2(1H)-ones via the Cyclative Cleavage of N-Arylated Carboxamides." Adv. Synth. Catal. 2016, 358(5), 701-706.
- Ventosa-Andres, P.; Ripoll, C.A.B.; La-Venia, A; Krchnak, V. "Solid-phase synthesis of fused 1,4-diazepanone peptidomimetics via tandem N-iminium ion cyclization-nucleophilic addition." Tet. Lett. 2015, 56(40), 5424-5428.
- Ventosa-Andres, P.; La-Venia, A.; Ripoll, C.A.B.; Hradilova, L.; Krchnak, V. "Synthesis of Nature-Inspired Medium-Sized Fused Heterocycles from Amino Acids." Chem. Eur. J. 2015, 21(37), 13112-13119.
- Gimenez-Navarro, V.; Volna, T.; Krchnak, V. "3-Alkyl-3-(alkylamino)indolin-2-ones via Base-Mediated C-Arylation of 2-Nitrobenzenesulfonamides." ACS Comb. Sci. 2015, 17(8), 433-436.