- Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Associate Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Assistant Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of California, Los Angeles
- Dr. rer. nat. University of Bonn, Germany
- Diplom, University of Bonn, Germany
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
- John Kaneb Award for undergraduate teaching
- Camille Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar Award
- NSF CAREER Award
- NIH First Award
The central topic of the research in the Wiest group is how molecules interact and react. The structure and energetics of non-covalent complexes and transition states is probed theoretically and experimentally. The detailed understanding of intermolecular interactions can then be exploited for the design of assays for biophysical studies and for drug design. Four distinct areas of research are currently under investigation: (1) development of epigenetic modulators targeting histone deacetylases and bromodomains as chemical tools and drug leads, (2) rare and neglected diseases, specifically Niemann Pick Type C disease, (3) mechanistic studies of transition metal and enzyme catalyzed reactions, and (4) development of Q2MM methods for the virtual screening of chiral ligands for asymmetric catalysis.
The research in the Wiest group uses a wide range of experimental and computational methods that are applied to fundamental and applied problems in organic and biophysical chemistry. In this work, we collaborate with a number of other researchers in synthetic chemistry, biology, physics, and at medical schools at Notre Dame and around the world.
- Xu, W.; Arieno, M.; Löw, H.; Huang, K.; Xie, X.; Crutcher, T.; Ma, Q.; Xi, J.; Huang, B.; Wiest, O.; Hong, L.; Meggers, E. "Metal-Templated Design: Enantioselective Hydrogen-Bond-Driven Catalysis Requiring Only Parts-per-million Catalyst Loading." J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2016, 138, 8774-8780.
- Lee, J.M.; Zhang, X.; Wu, Y.D.; Norrby, P.O.; Helquist, P.; Wiest, O. "Stereoselectivity in (Acylox)borane-Catalyzed Mukaiyama Aldol Reactions." J. Org. Chem. 2016, 81, 5314-5321.
- Hansen, E.; Rosales, A.R.; Tutkowski, B.M.; Norrby, P.O.; Wiest, O. "Prediction of Stereochemistry using Q2MM." Acc. Chem. Res. 2016, 49, 996-1005.
- Grigalunas, M.; Anker, T.; Norrby, P.O.; Wiest, O.; Helquist, P. "Ni-Catalyzed Alkenylation of Ketone Enolates Under Mild Conditions: Catalyst Identification and Optimization." J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2015, 137, 7019-7022.
- Mbengue, A.; Bhattacharjee, S.; Pandharkar, T.; Liu, H.N.; Estiu, G.; Stahelin, R.V.; Rizk, S.S.; Njimoh, D.L.; Ryan, Y.; Chotivanich, K.; Nguon, C.; Ghorbal, M.; Lopez-Rubio, J.J.; Pfrender, M.; Emrich, S.; Mohandas, N.; Dondorp, A.M.; Wiest, O.; Haldar, K. "A molecular mechanism of artemisinin resistance in Plasmodium falciparum malaria." Nature 2015, 520 (7549), 683-U246.
- Chen, K.; Zhang, X.X.; Wu, Y.D.; Wiest, O. "Inhibition and Mechanism of HDAC8 Revisited." J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2014, 136 (33), 11636-11643.