- Concurrent Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry, University of Notre Dame
- Assistant Professor, Department of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering, University of Notre Dame
- NIH NRSA Postdoctoral Fellow, Koch Institute, MIT
- Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering, Northwestern University
- M.S. in Biomedical Engineering, Northwestern University
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering, University of Notre Dame
- NIH Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award
- Dudley Childress Award
- American Heart Association Featured Chicago Researcher
Using principles based in supramolecular chemistry – that is, “chemistry beyond the molecule” – the Webber Lab is interested in exploiting specific, dynamic interactions between molecules to facilitate improved therapeutics. With this design inspiration, we are modulating the association and self-assembly of oligopeptides in order to create tailored and dynamic matrices for applications in regenerative medicine. We are also using specific, high affinity host-guest macrocycle chemistry to enable precise targeting and transport of drugs and therapeutic agents. Finally, we are generating new classes of recombinant materials using protein-derived affinity motifs to promote three-dimensional structures. In sum, our work aims to leverage the engineering of supramolecular motifs to improve the practice of medicine.
- Sahoo, J. K.; Nazareth, C.; VandenBerg, M. A.; Webber, M. J. "Self-assembly of amphiphilic tripeptides with sequence-dependent nanostructure." Biomater. Sci. 2017, 5, 1526-1530.
- Yesilyurt, V.; Veiseh, O.; Doloff, J. C.; Li, J.; Bose, S.; Xie, X.; Bader, A. R.; Chen, M.; Webber, M. J.; Vegas, A. J.; Langer, R.; Anderson, D. G. "A Facile and Versatile Method to Endow Biomaterial Devices with Zwitterionic Surface Coatings." Adv. Healthc. Mater. 2017, 6, 1601091.
- Webber, M. J.; Appel, E. A.; Vinciguerra, B.; Cortinas, A. B.; Thapa, L. S.; Jhunjhunwala, S.; Isaacs, L.; Langer, R.; Anderson, D. G. "Supramolecular PEGylation of biopharmaceuticals." P. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 2016, 113, 14189-14194.
- Kauffman, K. J.; Mir, F. F.; Jhunjhunwala, S.; Kaczmarek, J. C.; Hurtado, J. E.; Yang, J. H.; Webber, M. J.; Kowalski, P. S.; Heartlein, M. W.; DeRosa, F.; Anderson, D. G. "Efficacy and immunogenicity of unmodified and pseudouridine-modified mRNA delivered systemically with lipid nanoparticles in vivo." Biomater. 2016, 109, 78-87.
- Kauffman, K. J.; Webber, M. J.; Anderson, D. G. "Materials for non-viral intracellular delivery of messenger RNA therapeutics." J. Control. Release 2016, 240, 227-234.
- Kaczmarek, J. C.; Patel, A. K.; Kauffman, K. J.; Fenton, O. S.; Webber, M. J.; Heartlein, M. W.; DeRosa, F.; Anderson, D. G. "Polymer-Lipid Nanoparticles for Systemic Delivery of mRNA to the Lungs." Angew. Chem. Int. Edit. 2016, 55, 13808-13812.