Jaroslav Zajicek obtained his Diploma (M.S.) in 1970 from the Czech Technical University in Prague, Czech Republic, for his work on the structure of silver (dinitrodialaninato-cobaltate) using x-ray and neutron diffraction (1970). He earned his CSc (Ph.D.) in experimental physics from the Charles University in Prague, Czech Republic, in 1980, where he studied internal mobility of poly(methylmethacrylate) in concentrated solutions by NMR spectroscopy methods. After completion of his doctoral training, he worked (1980-91) as a senior NMR spectroscopist in the Institute of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry, Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences in Prague, Czech Republic. In 1991, he moved to Washington State University in Pullman, where he managed the University NMR Spectroscopy Center from 1991 to 1995. He joined the faculty in the University of Notre Dame in March 1995. He is a professional specialist and a director of the Magnetic Resonance Research Center.
His current interests are applications of NMR spectroscopy techniques to study structures and dynamics of proteins, natural products and carbohydrates.
Research Support Services
Dr. Zajicek maintains the NMR facility of the University. The Core is equipped with seven NMR spectrometers for liquid analysis ranging in magnetic field strength from 7.05-18.79 T which corresponds to proton resonance frequencies of 300-800 MHz. Triple resonance cryoprobes of the 700 and 800 MHz spectrometers allow for the measurement of extremely dilute sample solutions.
- Kostochka, M.L.; Zajicek, J.; Fuselier, J.A.; Etienne, M.A.; Sun, L.C.; Coy, D.H. "Novel Tandem Aldol Intramolecular Cyclization of Substituted N-Benzylpiperidine-4-one: Synthesis of Novel-Type Nitrogen 2,8-Phenanthroline Heterocycles" J. Heterocyclic Chem. 2015, 52(6), 1723-1730.
- Galimand, M.; Fishovitz, J.; Lambert, T.; Barbe, V.; Zajicek, J.; Mobashery, S.; Courvalin, P. "AAC(3)-XI, a New Aminoglycoside 3-N-Acetyltransferase from Corynebacterium striatum" Antimicrob. Agents Ch. 2015, 59(9), 5647-5653.
- Kunda, S.; Yuan, Y.; Balsara, R.D.; Zajicek, J.; Castellino, F.J. " Hydroxyproline-induced Helical Disruption in Conantokin R1-B Affects Subunit-selective Antagonistic Activities toward Ion Channels of N-Methyl-D-aspartate Receptors" J. Biol. Chem. 2015, 290(29), 18156-18172.
- Fulopova, V.; Krchnakova, A.; Schutznerova, E.; Zajicek, J.; Krchnak, V. "Ring Contraction of 2,5-Dihydrobenzo[f][1,2,5]thiadiazepine 1,1-Dioxides: Access to 4H-Benzo[b][1,4]thiazine 1,1-Dioxides" J. Org. Chem. 2015, 80(3), 1795-1801.
- Hawse, W.F.; De, S.; Greenwood, A.I.; Nicholson, L.K.; Zajicek, J.; Kovrigin, E.L.; Kranz, D.M.; Garcia, K.C.; Baker, B.M. "TCR Scanning of Peptide/MHC through Complementary Matching of Receptor and Ligand Molecular Flexibility" J. Immunol. 2014, 192(6), 2885-2891.
- Larsen, E.M.; Wilson, M.R.; Zajicek, J.; Taylor, R.E. "Conformational Preferences of Zampanolide and Dactylolide" Org. Lett. 2013, 15(20), 5246-5249.