- Associate Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Assistant Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of California at Berkeley and Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Carnegie Mellon University
- M.S. in Polymer Chemistry, Fudan University, China
- B.S. in Polymer Chemistry, Fudan University, China
- NSF CAREER Award
- Army Young Investigator Program (YIP) Award
- UMass MRSEC Young Investigator Award
- AzkoNobel Award for Outstanding Graduate Research in Polymer Chemistry, American Chemical Society
- Guy C. Berry Graduate Research Award, Carnegie Mellon University
- McWilliams Fellowship, Carnegie Mellon University
The Gao research group focuses on synthesizing functional polymer materials with controlled nanostructures and understanding their fundamental structure-property relationships. These materials will meet critical needs in the fields of biofunctional materials, environmental remediation and energy conversion. A number of approaches ranging from modern organic synthesis to biomimetic programmed self assembly will be applied to construct these functional materials. By building soft polymer materials ranging in size and complexity from oligomers, to multi-segmented block copolymers, and to shape-persistent hierarchical nanocomposites, various functionalities will be incorporated into these polymers in a predetermined manner. Interesting research projects include:
- Developing new methodologies for efficient polymer synthesis and functionalization.
- Biomimetic assembly of synthetic polymer chains into shape-persistent nanostructures.
- Exploiting nanostructured polymer materials for gas separation and selective adsorption.
- Electro-active polymers and nanocomposites.
- Zhao, L.; Wu, X.; Wang, X.; Duan, C.; Wang, H.; Punjabi, A.; Zhao, Y.; Zhang, Y.; Xu, Z.; Gao, H.; Han, G. "Development of Excipient-Free Freeze-Dryable Unimolecular Hyperstar Polymers for Efficient siRNA Silencing." ACS Macro Letters 2017, 6, 700-704.
- Wang, X.; Gao, H. "Recent Progress on Hyperbranched Polymers Synthesized via Radical-Based Self-Condensing Vinyl Polymerization." Polymers 2017, 9, 188.
- Cao, X.; Shi, Y.; Gao, H. "A Novel Chain-Growth CuAAC Polymerization: One-pot Synthesis of Dendritic Hyperbranched Polymers with Well-Defined Structures." Synlett 2017, 28, 391-396.
- Qu, S.; Shi, Y.; Benavides, S.; Hunter, A.; Gao, H.; Phillip, W. A. "Copolymer Nanofilters with Charge-Patterned Domains for Enhanced Electrolyte Transport." Chemistry of Materials 2017, 29, 762-772.
- Gan, W.; Shi, Y.; Jing, B.; Cao, X.; Zhu, Y.; Gao, H. "Produce Molecular Brushes with Ultrahigh Grafting Density Using Accelerated CuAAC Grafting-Onto Strategy." Macromolecules 2017, 50, 215-222.
- Hu, D.; Jin, S.; Shi, Y.; Wang, X.; Graff, R. W.; Liu, W.; Zhu, M.; Gao, H. "Preparation of hyperstar polymers with encapsulated Au-25(SR)(18) clusters as recyclable catalysts for nitrophenol reduction." Nanoscale 2017, 9, 3629-3636.
Researcher ID: D-1610-2016