- Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Associate Director, Center for Sustainable Energy at Notre Dame
- Associate Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Assistant Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Pennsylvania
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, University of California, Los Angeles
- B.Sc. in Chemistry, University of Melbourne, Australia
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry
- American Chemical Society (ACS) Fellow
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Kaneb Teaching Award, University of Notre Dame
Research in the Hartland group is focused on using optics to examine the properties of nanomaterials and how these materials interact with their environments. Almost all the projects in the group involve single particle studies, and the development of novel techniques to perform time-resolved and steady state spectroscopy experiments on single particles is a major component of the research. Examples of the processes that are being studied are the propagation of surface plasmon polaritons in metal nanostructures, charge carrier trapping and diffusion in semiconductor nanowires, chemical reactions in nanomaterials, and the effects of viscosity at the nanoscale.
- Beane, G.; Yu, K.; Devkota, T.; Johns, P.; Brown, B.; Wang, G. P.; Hartland, G. V. "Surface Plasmon Polariton Interferences in Gold Nanoparticles." J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 2017, 8, 4935-4941.
- Yu, K.; Devkota, T.; Beane, G.; Wang, G. P.; Hartland, G. V. "Brillouin Oscillations from Singel Au Nanoplate Opto-acoustic Transducers." ACS Nano 2017, 11, 8064-8071.
- Li, Z.; Aleshire, K.; Kuno, M.; Hartland, G. V. "Super-Resolution Far-Field Infrared Imaging by Photothermal Heterodyne Imaging." J. Phys. Chem. B 2017, 121, 8838-8846.
- Hartland, G. V.; Besteiro, L. V.; Johns, P.; Govorov, A. O. "What's so Hot about Electrons in Metal Nanoparticles?" ACS Energy Lett. 2017, 2, 1641-1653.
- Zeng, Z.; Wang, H.; Johns, P.; Hartland, G. V.; Schultz, Z. D. "Photothermal Microscopy of Coupled Nanostructures and the Impact of Nanoscale Heating in Surface-Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy." J. Phys. Chem. C 2017, 121, 11623-11631.
- Johns, P.; Beane, G.; Yu, K.; Hartland, G. V. "Dynamics of Surface Plasmon Polaritons in Metal Nanowires." J. Phys. Chem. C 2017, 121, 5445-5459.