- Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Associate Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Assistant Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Pennsylvania
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, University of California, Los Angeles
- B.Sc. in Chemistry, University of Melbourne, Australia
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry
- American Chemical Society (ACS) Fellow
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Kaneb Teaching Award, University of Notre Dame
Research in the Hartland group is focused on using optics to examine the properties of nanomaterials and how these materials interact with their environments. Almost all the projects in the group involve single particle studies, and the development of novel techniques to perform time-resolved and steady state spectroscopy experiments on single particles is a major component of the research. Examples of the processes that are being studied are the propagation of surface plasmon polaritons in metal nanostructures, charge carrier trapping and diffusion in semiconductor nanowires, chemical reactions in nanomaterials, and the effects of viscosity at the nanoscale.
- Johns, P.; Devadas, M.S.; Yu, K.; Hartland, G.V. "Role of Resonances in the Transmission of Surface Plasmon Polaritons between Nanostructures." ACS Nano 2016, 10(3), 3375-3381.
- Li, Z.; Mao, W.; Devadas, M.S.; Hartland, G.V. "Absorption Spectroscopy of Single Optically Trapped Gold Nanorods." Nano Lett. 2015, 15, 7731-7735.
- Yu,K.; Major, T.A.; Chakraborty, D.; Devadas, M.S.; Sader, J.E.; Hartland, G.V. "Compressible Viscoelastic Liquid Effects Generated by the Breathing Modes of Isolated Metal Nanowires." Nano Lett. 2015, 15, 3964-3970.
- Devadas, M.S.; Devkota, T.; Guha, S.; Shaw, S.K.; Smith, B.D.; Hartland, G.V. "Spatial Modulation Spectroscopy for Imaging and Quantitative Analysis of Single Dye-Doped Organic Nanoparticles Inside Cells." Nanoscale 2015, 7, 9779-9785.
- Devadas, M.S.; Devkota, T.; Johns, P.; Li, Z.; Lo, S.S.; Yu, K.; Huang, L.; Hartland, G.V. "Imaging Nano-Objects by Linear and Nonlinear Optical Absorption Microscopies." Nanotechnology 2015, 26, 354001.
- Johns, P.; Yu, K.; Devadas, M.S.; Li, Z.M.; Major, T.A.; Hartland, G.V. "Effect of substrate discontinuities on the propagating surface plasmon polariton modes in gold nanobars." Nanoscale 2014, 6 (23), 14289-14296.