- 1976- present
- Notre Dame Radiation Laboratory
- Program Officer for Theoretical and Computational Chemistry, National Science Foundation
- Visiting Assistant Professor, University of Iowa
- Visiting Assistant Professor, University of Colorado
- Postdoctoral Scholar in Chemistry, University of California at Santa Barbara
- Ph.D. in Physical Chemistry, University of Wisconsin
- B.S. in Chemistry, Iowa State University
Dr. Chipman's research interests are involved with theoretical and computational studies of the chemical effects of ionizing radiation on matter. This involves development and improvement of methods for carrying out electronic structure calculations on molecular systems as well as applying the methods to solve problems of current experimental interest. Recent studies have focused on characterizing the low-lying electronic excited states of liquid water and of free radical solutes such as hydroxyl in water. This work is funded by the U. S. Department of Energy to provide fundamental information on chemical processes of importance to the mission of developing improved energy sources for the nation.
- Pomogaeva, A.; Chipman, D.M. "Composite Method for Implicit Representation of Solvent in Dimethyl Sulfoxide and Acetonitrile." J. Phys. Chem. A 2015, 119(21), 5173-5180.
- One of > 100 authors "Advances in molecular quantum chemistry contained in the Q-Chem 4 program package." Mol. Phys. 2015, 113 (2), 184-215.
- Tolbatov, I.; Chipman, D.M. "Performance of density functionals for computation of core electron binding energies in first-row hydrides and glycine." Theor. Chem. Ac. 2014, 133 (5), 1473.
- Pomogaeva, A.; Chipman, D.M. "Hydration Energy from a Composite Method for Implicit Representation of Solvent." J .Chem. Theory Comput. 2014, 10 (1), 211-219.
- Pomogaeva, A.; Chipman, D.M. "Hydrogen Atom in Water from Ambient to High Temperatures." J. Phys. Chem. B 2013, 117 (51), 16530-16541.
- Pomogaeva, A.; Chipman, D.M. "New Implicit Solvation Models for Dispersion and Exchange Energies." J. Phys. Chem. A 2013, 117 (28), 5812-5820.