- Research Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Associate Research Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Associate Specialist, University of California, Santa Cruz
- Assistant Specialist, University of California, Berkeley
- Postdoctoral Research Scholar, University of California, Berkeley
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Waikato University, New Zealand
- M.S. in Chemistry, Waikato University, New Zealand
- B.S. in Chemistry, Waikato University, New Zealand
Crystallography is the study of crystals, their form and structure. In chemistry, we most commonly use crystallography to determine the composition and connectivity of the atoms that make up crystals. From this we can get the 3D molecular structure or the extended structure, which is useful to answer questions of coordination, connectivity, function, reactivity, biological activity, and more. Here at Notre Dame, we use crystallography to study models for the heme site in proteins, to study drug candidates, metal-organic frameworks, and the structure of carbohydrates, as well to study more basic questions of coordination chemistry.
The Molecular Structure Facility is a department resource providing single-crystal X-ray structure determinations for researchers both within the department and without. We perform hundreds of experiments each year, using three state of the art instruments. Most of the experiments are performed by students for their own research after coursework and individual training in crystallography.
- Zhu, H.; Janusson, E.; Luo, J.; Piers, J.; Islam, F.; McGarvey, G. B.; Oliver, A. G.; Granota, O.; McIndoe, J. S. "Phenol-selective mass spectrometric analysis of jet fuel." Analyst 2017, 142, 3278-3284.
- Holland, A. M.; Oliver, A. G.; Iluc, V. M. "Iron pyrrole-based PNP pincer ligand complexes as catalyst precursors." Acta Crystallogr. C 2017, 73, 569-574.
- Jarvis, T. S.; Collins, C. G.; Dempsey, J. M.; Oliver, A. G.; Smith, B. D. "Synthesis and Structure of 3,3-Dimethylindoline Squaraine Rotaxanes." J. Org. Chem. 2017, 82, 5819-5825.
- Ujam, O. T.; Ogbonna, O. C.; Oliver, A.; Ume, J. I.; Janusson, E.; Chime, C. C. "Crystal Structure of 4-Hydroxy-6-Methyl-3-[(1e)-1-(2-Phenylhydrazinylidene) Ethyl]-2h-Pyran-2-One." J. Struct. Chem. 2017, 58, 636-639.
- Dembowski, M.; Colla, C. A.; Hickam, S.; Oliveri, A. F.; Szymanowski, J. E. S.; Oliver, A. G.; Casey, W. H.; Burns, P. C. "Hierarchy of Pyrophosphate-Functionalized Uranyl Peroxide Nanocluster Synthesis." Inorg. Chem. 2017, 56, 5478-5487.
- Hoffman, J. M.; Oliver, A. G.; Brown, S. N. "The Metal or the Ligand? The Preferred Locus for Redox Changes in Oxygen Atom Transfer Reactions of Rhenium Amidodiphenoxides." J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2017, 139, 4521-4531.