- Assistant Professor, University of Notre Dame, 07/2011 -
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of California Berkeley and Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, 01/2009 - 05/2011
- Ph.D. Carnegie Mellon University, 12/2008
- M.S. Fudan University, Shanghai China, 07/2003
- B.S. Fudan University, Shanghai China, 07/2000
Gao research group focuses on synthesizing functional polymer materials with controlled nanostructures and understanding their fundamental structure-property relationships. These materials will meet critical needs in the fields of biofunctional materials, environmental remediation and energy conversion. A number of approaches ranging from modern organic synthesis to biomimetic programmed self assembly will be applied to construct these functional materials. By building soft polymer materials ranging in size and complexity from oligomers, to multi-segmented block copolymers, and to shape-persistent hierarchical nanocomposites, various functionalities will be incorporated into these polymers in a predetermined manner. Several interested research projects are:
- Developing new methodologies for efficient polymer synthesis and functionalization.
- Biomimetic assembly of synthetic polymer chains into shape-persistent nanostructures.
- Exploiting nanostructured polymer materials for gas separation and selective adsorption.
- Electro-active polymers and nanocomposites.
H. Gao, D. A. Poulsen, B. Ma, D. A. Unruh, X. Zhao, J. E. Millstone, J. M. J. Fréchet, Site Isolation of Emitters within Crosslinked Polymer Nanoparticles for White Electroluminescence, Nano Lett., 2010, 10, 1440Link
V. Rodionov, H. Gao, S. Scroggins, D. A. Unruh, A. Avestro, J. M. J. Fréchet, Easy Access to a Family of Polymer Catalysts from Modular Star Polymers, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2010, 132, 2570Link
H. Gao, K. Matyjaszewski, Synthesis of Functional Polymers with Controlled Architecture by CRP of Monomers in the Presence of Cross-linkers: From Stars to Gels, Prog. Polym. Sci. 2009, 34, 317Link
H. Gao, A. Miasnikova, K. Matyjaszewski, Effect of Cross-linker Reactivity on Experimental Gel Points during ATRcP of Monomer and Cross-linker, Macromolecules 2008, 41, 7843Link
H. Gao, K. Matyjaszewski, “Arm-First” Method As a Simple and General Method for Synthesis of Miktoarm Star Copolymers, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2007, 129, 11828Link
H. Gao, S. Ohno, K. Matyjaszewski, Low Polydispersity Star Polymers via Cross-Linking Macromonomers by ATRP, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2006, 128, 15111Link
- Assistant Professor
- Office: 365 Stepan Chemistry Hall
- Phone: 574.631.8023
- Contact by Email
- Group Website